Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long to brine?

Options
Crab leg
Crab leg Posts: 291
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got some real nice bone in 1 1/2" thick pork chops and they just went into a nice brine. How long to brine these? Is 2 hours going to do the trick?
Seth

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Crab leg,
    Pork chops brined could take 12 hours or more. 2 hours is marinating. A light brine that I make is 1 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 gal. water. [p]I brine whole chicken, turkey, pork shoulder. Takes 2-3 days.[p]Clay Q

• Zeke
    Zeke Posts: 90
    Options
    Clay Q, salt or Kosher salt? Regular salt is too strong for my delicate taste buds. Just wondering...

• Crab leg
    Crab leg Posts: 291
    Options
    Zeke,
    I use Kosher, and plans just changed, so they will swim over night. I go with the same amounts that Clay does, but I used dark brown sugar and cut up a few apples and threw them in for kicks. Sounds like a good lunch tomorrow.
    Seth

• Clay Q
    Options
    Zeke,
    Always Kosher, no iodine. I like sea salt. In the old days folks cured with a lot of salt to preserve meat and some people still use a lot of salt. Now I go for flavor and I do not want a heavy salt taste so my brine is on the light side and it gives me the flavor of a cure without being too salty.

• Clay Q
    Options
    Crab leg,
    Yum, yum, yum. I realy enjoy a good smoke with my pork-especially when its brined. Good luck and have fun tomorrow!