Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem lighting new egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I can't get the paper to burn long enough to light the charcoal in my new BGE. I just picked it up today. It's 6:51pm and I'm hungry! HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!![p]Dr. Snore

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    dr.snore@mindspring.com,
    For tonight use more paper. Tomorrow get some fire starter cubes from Ace Hardware or any other hardware store. Wally World also carries Weber fire starter cubes.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    dr.snore,[p]Are you placing the newspaper on the grate? If so put just a few pieces of charcoal on top; pile more coals on when those catch. Leave the dome (& lower vent, of course) open until you've really got something going.[p]It might help to roll several sheets of paper into a tight bundle; you may get a longer burn that way. [p]Most of us here prefer electric starters or something like Weber firestarter cubes. You might want to try one or the other next time; they're easy & foolproof.[p]Good luck -[p]Cathy
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    dr.snore@mindspring.com,[p] Maybe you could give us some more info.
    ---Are you using lump coal or bricketts?
    ---Is the paper on top of the coals or placed under them
    through the bottom door?
    These questions may seem dumb but we must start someplace.
    Thanks
    Earl

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    dr.snore@mindspring.com,[p]I used paper to light my Small for a while before switching to starter cubes. The way I did it was with about 3 sheets of newspaper crumbled loosly into balls. I'd place these on top of the grate and top them with a small amount of lump. With the bottom vent open and the top off, I'd light the papers in several places and let the fire get going for a minute or so with the dome open. Once it was going, I'd close the dome and wait to hear the crackling sounds of lump lighting up. Once the few coals were going, I'd add more lump and 'er rip![p]I had great success with lighting lump with papers for a long time with only one match before going to cubes for the greater convenience and reduced ash.[p]Good luck and post some more if you want more suggestions.[p]Heee,
    Cornfed

• Thanks for all the quick responses. It's Going even as I write this. [p]Dr. Snore
  • Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Cornfed,[p]As a long time paper user (we get three a day), I must say that your method is perfect. Paper starting is only useful full grilling and roasting temps. For low and slow cooking a starter is the ticket.[p]Spin