Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This post may induce the meat sweats (pic heavy)

smoky b
smoky b Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So i don't even know why people put "pic heavy" in their titles but everybody else does it and I don't have issues with conforming. Is it to tell people there's a bunch of pics in the post so they'll read it, or is it to warn people that don't like pics that they should skip over it? whatever.

i know, i know, it's not that big a cook compared to what the big boys do on here, but it's the biggest solo cook I have ever done. and considering that less than 3 yrs ago i was having my wife do all the grilling on a rusty gas grill we got years ago as a wedding present, i thought it was post worthy.

The husband of one of our close friends at church died after a long battle with various illnesses exactly one year ago. Being the huge bbq fan that he was, his wife asked if I would cook for an impromptu family reunion that she had planned for the first anniversary of his death. I had never cooked for more than 8-10 before and was a little nervous but I love this family and wouldn't have thought of turning it down. (Tom was also a huge Auburn fan. Thankfully I wasn't asked to deliver the meat in orange/blue.) So here goes:

40 lbs of pork going on the large the night before:
014-2.jpg

took the butts off sometime saturday morning for a rest and put 50 or so chicken thighs on the large and medium.
015-2.jpg

016-2.jpg

quick pic of my "help". wife and jack (neighbor and friend that I have cooked in a couple bbq comps with)
014-3.jpg

pulled the chicken, dunked in a glaze (just some thinned bbq sauce and stuff) and back on for a few minutes
018-1.jpg

the chaos of pulling all of the butts with time expiring proved too much for the little guy:
019-1.jpg

here are the only finished pics that I have (stolen from Dana's facebook page)
184382_762395097558_60717789_39080210_756675_n.jpg

185938_762395142468_60717789_39080212_8157894_n.jpg

Comments