Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh whole pork shoulder cook

2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got my shoulder the other day and the butcher cut a lot of the meat off the butt. I told him I was disappointed and he said I could bring it back and he could make more money grinding it up for sausage. It weighs 15 pounds but is flatter than a flutter. :unsure:

About 4 inches tall at the tallest point.

Last week I ordered/asked for a whole shoulder the biggest.

000_2590.jpg

000_2589.jpg

000_2588.jpg

000_2587.jpg

000_2591.jpg

000_2592.jpg

I smoked the whole shoulder

000_2593.jpg

at 250F dome and it still took a grueling 20 hours later before hitting 200F internal meat temp. It stayed at 155 through 165F internal for over 6 hours before moving again. Then when it came out of the plateau it took 6 hours to get to pull temp. So it took 7 hours to get to the plateau. 7 hours to go through the plateau and 6 hours to finish after the plateau.

Here is the finish pic in the egg.

000_2597.jpg

I double wrapped the whole shoulder in two layers of heavy duty foil and stuffed it in a cooler with towels all around it.

Believe it or not 7 hours later

000_2598.jpg

Here is the bottom because I smoked it fat cap down.

000_2599.jpg

Here it is all shredded and mixed.

000_2601.jpg

The bones

000_2600.jpg

Here is 8 one pound each at best (from a 15 pound whole shoulder excessively trimmed) and all packaged up in foodsaver bags for safe keeping in the freezer. ;) It seems like this cook yielded a little better than half it raw weight in fully cooked meat. I'm not sure what the ratio is but, maybe I wasn't as bad off as I first thought. :unsure: Thanks for looking. :)

000_2602.jpg

I filled my egg full of (half with wicked good and the top half with royal oak and several chunks of hickory for flavor) lump to the top of the fire ring. Here is what is left after about 21 hours of heating the large egg at 250F dome. That's 30 min's to bring the egg to temp and 20 hours of cooking and 30 more min's to shut the egg down. I think there should be another 10 hours of cooking time at 250F dome if your lucky. ;)

000_2604.jpg

Comments

• MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    Looks good! Did you notice any difference in moisture content of the pulled meat using such a large cut?
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Great cook and good documentation, Tim!
    You've got some mighty fine meals in your future :woohoo:

My usual yield from a Boston Butt (bone-in) is about 60%.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You did real good Tim.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 2Fategghead
    Dave, Not so much a moisture thing but the combination of the different muscle groups coming from the picnic and the butt gives the shredded pork a better flavor in my opinion. :P

Smoke and eat a butt

Smoke and eat a picnic

Now smoke and eat a whole shoulder. I like it better.

Not that I have to only smoke whole shoulders because I can get a lot more butts on my egg than whole shoulders. I guess it's a treat. :P ;) :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Clark. I guess my yeild wasn't far off. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Mickey. I started this cook around 7:00 am Saturday and it went to 3:am Sunday. I'm kinda frazzled. My last whole shoulder cook was 20 some pounds and only went 18.5 hours. I tell you each cook is unique. I thought I would be done yesterday at supper time. Yeah right. :laugh:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Fine looking pork - that was a huge chunk of meat. No doubt you will enjoy for weeks to come - unless of course you share with friends/neighbors (and who wouldn't love to be on the receiving end of a gift like this)!!!! ;)
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    That is is pretty impressive Tim. ;) You going to try it again with a bigger one?
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • Thanks, Tim, for showing that to us. It's not often I get to see the whole piece of shoulder like that.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Hey Tim, those long hours cooks are worth the effort. Looking pretty good
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Tim - Another fine chronicle of a cook. I am beginning to think you enjoy that part as much as the actual cooking/eating.
    Thawed some pulled pork I did back in December for lunch today - almost as good as the day it was smoked. You have a lot of great meals ahead of you.
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Elizabeth, If you were my neighbor I would let you and your hubby have some for sure. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Dave. :)

Yes I will try a bigger one and I should be able to get one. Last Oct. I smoked a 20 pound whole shoulder that took less time. :blink: One other time I smoked a butt then after it was done I smoked a picnic for a total of 27 hours. Like Barney said to Andy about Ernest T Bass "He's a nut" He meaning me. :laugh:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Tim, Great pictorial. Looks tasty.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    Your very welcome Faith. I plan to get another whole untrimmed shoulder for Roy the butcher if it's possible. After all he is also, my belly connection. ;) Hopefully he will accommodate me for a reasonable price. :) Thanks for everything Faith. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Beli. :) At first I thought I was unknowingly doing a marathon cook so I double checked my temps and it turned out to be a normal cook that took a long time to go into it's plateau and an even longer time to get through it's plateau. :blink:

Have you smoked any whole pork shoulders?
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Steve. :) Like you say I do enjoy documenting my cooks as thoroughly as I can. It serves two purposes It helps others now and in the future and I can go back to it in the future when I go to do another cook like this. I save this and most all my other cooks in folders and sub folders in my fav's in explorer. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Molly. maybe a little excessive but, hopefully helpful. ;)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    You couldn't pay me to eat that garbage...It's missing the money muscle for crying out loud :silly:
  • 2Fategghead
    :laugh: Thanks Gene you were correct about the cook being just as good with out the money muscle. :)

Do you think butts coming from a "lean hog" or a "fat hog" go through the cook differently that is go thorough the plateau differently? Is that what makes each butt cook unique? :huh:
  • Crimsongator
    Who knows why butts act differently. Probably the same reason the "butts" around here act differently :whistle:
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Looks great. Good job. Love the idea of food saver bags. I think I may have to break down and invest in one of those types of systems.
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks NC-CDN, I haven't had the foodsaver long but, love it. ;) A little more work than Ziploc bags but over time I think the foodsaver will pay for itself plus food stored in a foodsaver bag and vacuum sealed should last longer and you can take food out of the bag and real vacuum and seal. ;)
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Ba-dum tish!!! Good one!
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Nice looking shoulder Tim. I also cooked a whole shoulder one time, and I believe it had a better taste than the butts I had been producing. For some weird reason I haven't cooked another one since. All butts do act differently. I had 4 eight pounders on Friday night, three of them acted normal and one of them was stubborn as heck. Went like three hours longer and eventually had to wrap in foil and put in the oven to force to 200 internal.
  • 2Fategghead
    Rolling Egg, I had the feeling yesterday the the shoulder would never rise in temp over 155F-165F internal. It stayed there forever. I had the CyberQ purring along at 250F dome the whole time. I had the CyberQ food probe and both ET-73 probes in for the meat in three places and all agreed. At one point I opened the dome and checked with the thermapen. I thought I never had a shoulder cook go like this let alone a butt(my second whole shoulder cook). As you see it did get done but, My new source claims to have lean hogs and I couldn't help but, think that the hog was lean and so was the shoulder. Maybe that is why the collagen took so long to break down.

All is done that ends done. :laugh:
  • Crimsongator
    I am glad somebody appreciated that comment :-)