Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 firering idea and following dr. bill's orders

Options
2»

Comments

• davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks! Good luck with your pork...
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I smoked the whole shoulder at 250F dome and it still took a grueling 20 hours later before hitting 200F internal meat temp. It stayed at 155 through 165F internal for over 6 hours before moving again. Then when it came out of the plateau it took 6 hours to get to pull temp. So it took 7 hours to get to the plateau. 7 hours to go through the plateau and 6 hours to finish after the plateau.

Here is the finish pic in the egg.

000_2597.jpg

I double wrapped the whole shoulder in two layers of heavy duty foil and stuffed it in a cooler with towels all around it.

Believe it or not 7 hours later

000_2598.jpg

Here is the bottom because I smoked it fat cap down.

000_2599.jpg

Here it is all shredded and mixed.

000_2601.jpg

The bones

000_2600.jpg

Here is 8 one pound each at best (from a 15 pound whole shoulder excessively trimmed) and all packaged up in foodsaver bags for safe keeping in the freezer. ;)

000_2602.jpg
  • Da Kine Green BBQ
    Options
    Wait a second - the post is wonderful. . . but there was a question throen in there at the end of the original post - what about this red beverage you mentioned? A picture of this was missing, and you got me wondering!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    The Red beverage you are referring to is here

000_2585.jpg

I asked if anyone knew about this unusual drink and got no answers.

While trolling an amish market I purchased 24 cans and as it turned out me nor anyone else I know likes it. I can't give it away. Maybe I can marinate something in it. :( :unsure:
  • davehemp
    Options
    Nice post - good real life timing and temp info for specific weight, etc., w/pics...Thanks...In the end, were you happy? Still moist, tender, etc...? Looks good...
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Dave, After our last conversation from this post.

For further discussion click here.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1056900&catid=1

I did try the two fire ring setup with the plate setter and green feet and large baking stone. My dome did close and I put my hand down the dome vent and felt around. My hand went between the baking stone setting on the plate setter and between the dome with room to spare. My guess is close to 2 inches all the way around.

I never heated the egg or tried to cook on the baking stone to see how it works. It may turn out to be a great technique that works.

If I asked myself what this setup would accomplish I would have to say you may be able to cook a lot more high temp pizzas in a row because you have more room for lump. Of course this is pure speculation. As you know some have said the setup may add more heat to the gasket area.

I say to anyone reading this I am just goofing around to see if it is possible to set a large BGE up with more lump almost past the gasket surface and do some sort of cook. I already have several ways to get my pizza cooked. I'm just curious. Any thoughts or opinions are welcome.

Here is my large egg setup with two fire rings and the plate setter and the green feet and the large baking stone. The dome will close and there is almost two inches of room all the way around the inside for the heat to go past the baking stone and out the dome. All though I don't know how the convection will work with this setup. :unsure:

000_2605.jpg
  • davehemp
    Options
    Wow, Outrageous!!!
    My thinking about this was maybe being able to keep a higher air temp around the pie. I use a wet dough, so it takes some careful, slow movement to get it on the stone cleanly(20-30 seconds?), and in that time, I don't like how far the air temp falls - making the stone hotter than the air and increasing the risk of burnt crust before the top of the pie is done...
    I'm not overly worried about the gasket - if anything it seems to me that this setup protects it from open flame more than the usual way I do high temp cooks. I'll switch from Nomex to Rutland next time I need to replace it anyway...
    I don't really need to do over 2 pizzas in a row because it's just me and wifey, so total load of lump wouldn't need to be that much bigger - you make a good point, though, that at least you would have the ability to load it up much higher if you wanted.
    My main thing is if my stone is at 600-700 degrees, then I want the air around the pie to recover to 800 - 1000 degrees as fast as possible when I close the dome. I'm thinking being higher up would make a difference - close to the ceramic dome walls so more heat emitted directly towards top of pie... My wish is for a thin crust pie with bubbly crisp crust done in 2-3 minutes.
    I'm not sure how much it'd cost me for an extra fire ring - my local dealer is not real customer friendly, the Egg is not their main business, and they have to go next door and unlock the showroom so one can look around, and I always feel rushed - along with there's really only one guy who seems to know anything about the Egg stuff.
    I am really intrigued though - this setup looks like it could make for a mighty fine pizza oven. May look online to see if I can find a way to order or at least check price - maybe Fred's M & B?
    2Fat, thank very much for your follow-up - it'd be almost impossible to know for sure if everything would fit without the parts on hand to actually try. You're a great rep for this community - I've really learned much and have had not just a few laughs at some of the humor(Stike, you crazy dude). The forum and members like you makes a great thing - my Egg - even more enjoyable.