Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? for Bread makers

SmokinJ
SmokinJ Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello,

I have been try to make homemade hamburgers buns like ones from the bakery in the stors. I can't seem to get them light and fluffy. My last batch came out dense. Any suggestions or recipes. Also I am using all purpose flour. Should I switch to bread flour or can I get away with using all purpose?

Thanks

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Tips; Switch to bread flour (a finer grind) and milk instead of water. Powdered milk can be used as well. Use lard or shortening for a softer crumb.
    Be sure to let the dough ferment long enough for full yeast development and growth. Patience with bread.
    Good luck, have fun.
  • uglydog
    uglydog Posts: 256
    I have had similar problems when I try to make hamburger rolls or hot dog buns. In my most recent attempt I cut back a little on the flour, so the dough was more moist and sticky. That, plus allowing extra rise time, seemed to help. Here's the recipe I use, thank to Richard of FL.

Hamburger Buns II, Richard of Fl.

2 Tbsp granulated sugar
    2 packets active dry yeast
    ½ cup warm water (105°F to 115 °F)
    2 cups warm milk (105°F to 115°F)
    2 Tbsp vegetable oil
    2 tsp salt
    6-71/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached AP Flour
    Egg wash:
    1 egg beaten with 1 tbsp cold water
    Sesame, poppy, or caraway seeds or coarse salt (optional)

1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar and then the yeast in the warm water. Add the milk, oil, salt, and 3 cups of flour to the yeast mixture. Beat vigorously for 2 minutes.
    2. Gradually add flour, ¼ cup at a time, until the dough begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface.
    3. Kneading: Knead until you have smooth, elastic dough. Because this dough is so slack, you may find that a bowl scraper or bench knife can be helpful in scooping up the dough and folding it over onto itself.
    4. Rising: Put the dough into an oiled bowl. Turn once to coat the entire ball of dough with oil. Cover with a tightly woven dampened towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
    5. Shaping: turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 18 equal pieces. This is done most easily by dividing the dough into thirds, then the thirds into halve, and then the halves into thirds.
    6. Shape each piece into a ball. For hamburger buns, flatten the balls into 3 ½ inch disks. For hot dog rolls, roll the balls into cylinders, 4 ½ inches in length. Flatten the cylinders slightly; dough rises more in the center so this will give a gently rounded top versus a high top.
    7. For soft sided buns place on a well seasoned baking sheet a half inch apart so they’ll grow together when they rise. For crisper buns, place them 3 inches apart.
    8. Second Rise: Cover with a towel and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.
    9. 15 minutes before baking, preheat the egg to 400 °F. Just before baking lightly brush the tops of the buns with the egg wash and sprinkle seeds on the buns.
    10. Bake for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 190°F, indirect with platesetter legs down, on parchment paper.
    11. Remove from the baking sheet to cool on a wire rack.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    One more tip you can try.....add a couple Tbsp of corn starch to your flour and blend well before adding any wet ingredients. The corn starch will interfere with the development of the long gluten/protein chains in the dough and will make the buns much more light and fluffy.
  • SmokinJ
    SmokinJ Posts: 220
    Thanks for all the info. I will give it another try. I was ready to give up and just buy some buns but that takes the fun out of it. Besides even the failures still taste good.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Just a thought. When my breads came out to dense I had probably over kneaded them. I learned that bread doesn't require a lot of abuse. :lol:

Good luck, I hope we get to see your great results.

Blair