Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Be careful of Himalayan salt blocks

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Based on recent threads, I purchased a Himalayan salt block from Himalasalt.com. This morning, I was going to use it for the first time, so I went through the recommended process of letting it warm up on low, then medium, and finally hot on the gas stove.

After about 5 minutes on high, I left the kitchen for a second to turn on a light in the living room, and heard a loud explosion (just like my 9mm pistol). The salt block had exploded and sent shrapnel throughout the kitchen. I don't want to think about what may have happened if I had been standing over the block, like I was 20 seconds beforehand.

Be careful.

himala.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Damn, glad you weren't standing over it Gary. Any major damage to the stove/kitchen?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Village Idiot
    Thanks Scott. Not that I can tell. I am waiting to clean up to show my potential widow when she wakes up.

I did learn that I could apparently have a gunfight in my kitchen, and she'd sleep right through it. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Wow glad you are OK. guess you can fill the salt mill :pinch:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Wowww Gary thank God you were not around, TKS for sharing. Are you going to Salado?
  • Beli
    :laugh: :laugh: :whistle:
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Wow! Another way salt can kill a person!

If this gets out we'll be frisked for Himalayan salt at the airport.

Spring "A Little Salt Goes A Long Way After It Booms" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Wow that is a very scary, Thank God you were not there or the wife. Sounds like your wife is like mine, never hears anything. Step back and say a prayer. Have you or anyone else ever here of something like this happing. I never have.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Goodness....that could have been very nasty. Did the instructions have anything listed to suggest this possibility? Before this post, I was seriously thinking about trying one - now I don't think so. Glad no physical harm, but what a mess to contend with! :ohmy:
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Wow Gary, Glad you are OK. I had used salt blocks for a while and never had that happen. I suspect the reason it exploded was it was heated unevenly and possibly too fast. If you put it on a gas stove directly, the center heats up fast while the ends take longer. This is because salt is very dense and holds heat very well. I heated a very large block on gas but used a pizza stone to more evenly distribute the heat. Once I got the ends and center of the block at equal temps, I then would rasie the amount of heat applided. After the block got above 200, I remove the pizza stone and placed it over the direct flame. Once the block got to about 400, it went on the egg. This heating process took about an hour.
    Here is a link of the first cook.

http://bubbatim.com/Himalayan_Salt_Sear.php

Btw, don't throw away the salt, you can sill use it for the table. Again, glad you didn't get hurt.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Oh my,... if you were standing over that mineral salt block when it exploded... I don't like to think about it. :pinch:
    Truly fortunate that you left the room and no one else was around the stove when this happened.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Sorry to hear about the disaster. Glad you are alright.
    Any chance there was some moisture in a crack and it just expanded toooo fast. I have been using a 12 x 12 x2 in block for about 10 cooks on my small and I bring it up to temp with the BGE. Direct until 450-500f. Again glad you are OK. Time to brine some himalayan turkey. hehe
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Gary, you can buy salt already ground. :laugh: Or...

Step 1: Blow up salt block.
    Step 2: Heat CI skillet
    Step 3: Add food to skillet, season with Step 1.

Seriously, glad you're ok and I hope the property damage wasn't too bad. Imagine the result if you had done that on the egg!!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wow - Looks like a Himalayan Yeti got to that one.

Glad you are safe!
  • Village Idiot
    Thanks Beli. Sorry to say we'll miss Salado. With a new garage and a new BMW X3 for the missus, I can't afford the gas to Salado (especially at today's prices). :(

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Elizabeth,

I have a note in to Himalasalt. Anxious to hear what they say. I'll post when I hear back.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Village Idiot
    Tim,

I would have thought that if uneven temperatures could cause this, they would have put warnings in their instructions. Mine is a small 8x8, and the gas burner is fairly large, so I can't imagine the edges were that different than the center.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Well my doc's right, time to cut down on the salt :ohmy:
    Glad you are ok, could have been bad.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Richard,

I'm thinking moisture too, but I had just removed the cellophane from the block, so if there was moisture, it was sent to me that way.

I may call my attorneys at Dewey, Cheatum, & Howe because I think I feel a whiplash from the explosion. :laugh:

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Beli
    You will be missed buddy, & I'll miss a ride on the BMW :(
  • Village Idiot
    I got a very nice (and prompt) reply to my note to Himalasalt. See below. I asked for a replacement.

Thanks very much for your email, and for letting us know
    what has happened to you! I apologize, and am baffled...
    We've heard of it happening twice when they've been heated in an
    oven with fluctuating temperature changes, or with various
    moisture condensations combined with high heat, but this is
    a first, for us to hear about one exploding on the stove top.

I use mine all the time on my gas stove top and have cracked
    a couple trying to heat them in too much of a hurry.

I would like to compensate you in the way that best serves
    you, either a replacement, or a refund, just please let me know
    and we'll take care of it right away.

Please do not discard the broken shards, they can be used for
    grating with a stainless grater (do not use aluminum or chrome
    plates graters as the salt is harder than cheese of course, and it will
    cause the metal to fleck off in your food, but will not do so with
    stainless steel), or they can be put in the bath for a good detox
    soak. The smaller bits can be put in a salt grinder.

Again, very sorry this happened to you, and being the very first
    report of one like this stove top, I will begin to experiment more
    to see if I can create the circumstances for it to happen so I can
    put this information on my website to avoid similar situations from
    ever occurring. I am glad you are safe.

Thanks very much for the photo. I look forward to your response
    so that we can expedite your replacement or refund.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• I'll cancel my order, HOLY S__T!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I don't think you could ask for a better response from the merchant.

Imperfections are inherent in mother nature, so really no one to 'blame' - but the merchant seems to be stepping up to make it right as best they can. Good for them, and hope you are pleased with the outcome.
  • Village Idiot
    Fidel,

I am very pleased with Melissa's reply. I asked for a replacement, and she said she will personally pick one out, and also send a gift with it.

Can't ask for more than that.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• chrisnjenn
    chrisnjenn Posts: 534
    Wow. I have been using them for 2 years (on the stove and recently the Egg) and never had any problem. I love them. I always slowly heat them to temp for about an hour. I'm glad that merchant stepped to the plate for you and did the right thing.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    With your luck today, I'd run out and buy a lottery ticket.....I get half.....glad you are ok. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I use a CI griddle under my salt block.

No special reason except I don't feel comfortable exposing the salt block to direct flame.

Space
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Wow, you’ve (maybe unwittingly) become ‘notice’ to that company going forward. If there is a future similar occurrence with less fortunate results, they could find themselves in a peck of financial trouble
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I think we need to try this at a fest :evil: :laugh:
    Glad your ok Gary and sounds like the supplier is taking care of you
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    :ohmy: Gary, thank goodness you are all right (physically)! :woohoo:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Very nice response. See if you can get a 12x12x2 for an upgrade.