Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Felt a little Chimichurri tonite...

Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
edited 1:44PM in EggHead Forum
The wife said she was jonesin' for some steak, but I was feeling like more than just a nice hunk o' meat.

Skirt steak, trimmed and seasoned simply with salt/pepper and marinated for 8 hours in my favorite Chimichurri recipe - simple Flat Leaf Parsley, Cilantro, garlic, red pepper flakes, S&P, red onion, red wine vinegar and EVOO in the food processor for a few blasts:

DSC_0303.jpg

Gotta save some of that sauce for post cook too.

Also caught a great deal on some pretty 16-20 Gulf Shrimp....so I had to help out those fishermen on the coast and grabbed a pound. Marinated them in EVOO, garlic, cilantro, fresh pears, sugar and some habenero - marinated for an hour:
DSC_0304.jpg

Had done a cleaning fire last night, so the egg was easy to get up to searing temps quickly....spider and cast iron grid in place, check!
DSC_0305.jpg

Skirts First -
DSC_0307.jpg

About 3 minutes per side, closed the bottom vent and put a standard grid at ring height, added the shrimp...shortly followed by some foccacia:
DSC_0308.jpg

Plated and ready to go....the additional chimichurri adds a great fresh profile to the steak.
DSC_0309.jpg

Everyone is stuffed.....but we have a King Cake for dessert waiting!

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,368
    Brad,

Really nice!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hi Brad,

Yum! What a dinner!!

That is one great looking cook.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    That looks GREAT! I have yet to try the Chimmi.I have a few Flank steaks in the freezer.May hafta give em a try.
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Brad, Beautiful man!! ;)
    What's King cake?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Spring ChickenSpring Chicken Posts: 9,711
    Yep! I'd say you're about to get the hang of cook'n on the Egg LOL

Looks delicious.

Spring "Fish Sticks For Dinner" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    cookn biker wrote:
    Brad, Beautiful man!! ;)
    What's King cake?

Thanks Molly,

King Cake is a Mardi Gras tradition. Basically a cinnamon flavored coffee cake, covered in white icing with the traditional Green, Purple and Gold "sprinkles". It dates back to 12th Century France, used to celebrate the Epiphany or Twelfth Night (3 wise men bearing gifts for Christ). In Louisiana, Twelfth Night is the beginning of the Carnival season.

We already dug into this one....
    ef789fcb.jpg
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Aha, great background story. Thanks.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • elzbthelzbth Posts: 2,075
    Great meal - and King Cake too?? That's sweeeet!!! ;)
  • thebtlsthebtls Posts: 2,300
    Great meal! Any heat in that sauce?
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • ForniaFornia Posts: 451
    Great stuff there!

Chimichurri is my favorite beef 'sauce'. Love the vinegar, herbs, garlic. Thanks for sharing this!
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Great combination of flavours Brad just amazing.
  • Austin SmokerAustin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    thebtls wrote:
    Great meal! Any heat in that sauce?

Just the red pepper flakes in the Chim, but I wouldn't call it hot...Which is why I added some habs to the shrimp! ;)
  • Your steak looks great! I love Chimichurri, and I use the same recipe. A nice Sat. night dinner, to be sure.