Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planked salmon

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got a pretty good deal on Alaskan sockeye salmon and pulled the trigger on 10 pounds. It arrived solidly frozen in portions that are just right for the tow of us (and the kitties of course). Love having it on hand, means we will eat more of it. :)

Cooked some last night on a cedar plank with the Alaskan company's rub. Over cooked it just a tad, but it was awesome! Served with rice pilaf and a salad topped with beets, aged gruyere and a basalmic vinigrette. Great dinner.

IMAG0246.jpg

Not a great shot. Need to pull out the camera, the phone is just so easy though!
IMAG0248.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

Comments

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Wonderful looking stuff there!

Much nicer, thicker pieces you've got there! I assume your source is online?
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Jason, I've ordered from these people for years. I stopped in the last year trying to save some money. Tried Trader Joe's and Costco, but none compared in flavor.
    www.great-alaska-seafood.com

BTW, I have no connection with them. They just have great seafood and service.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Teresa, What a great healthy meal!
    You should try thirdeye's dry brine.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1995/02/seafood-dry-cure-for-salmon-trout-or.html

I make a big batch and freeze what I don't use. I always want that around. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Molly, thanks for the link, that looks great. I will definitely be giving that a try this week. We love smoked salmon.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I think that you will really like the flavor. If you are not sure on the brine time for the thickness email Wayne, or I can help you with that.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Thanks, I will. We are going to the NASCAR race in a few weeks, think that would be an awesome tailgate item to bring.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Great dinner indeed Teresa Congratulations