Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

more boston butt questions

pokeypokey Posts: 59
edited 12:37PM in EggHead Forum
Going to cook another butt tomorrow and have some questions. One of the links offered showed a butt with a nice bark on the outside, was this achieved just by slowcooking at 225-250 degrees. I also have read alot about putting the butt in a pre-heated cooler after taking off the egg (we wrapped in foil and towels). Our boston butt is fairly small but I want to make sure I cook it properly as our last attempt did not turn out so well.

Thanks,
Pokey
·

Comments

• ForniaFornia Posts: 451
    I'd suggest you read this...and if you've already done so (and since had the problems you've mentioned), just let us know what problem(s) you're experiencing.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/elder.htm

Once you've got the principles down pretty well, I'd say butts are tough to screw up.
    ·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    How small is your butt pokey? :laugh:
    ·
  • pokeypokey Posts: 59
    That is very helpful, the butt is only 4 lbs and I will probably start cooking first thing in morning and it should be ready by the afternoon. I have had problems keeping fire going around 200 degrees, and if I put enough lump in for a long period it tends to stay over 250 even with little oxygen. We did not put a rub on the last and definitely will this time. Thanks.
    ·
    Go with the Rub for sure!

Pokey, if you need any help, drop me an email with your number. Would be happy to help with any questions you might have. There's others on here who have done more than me for sure. But I've read a ton of the posts about them on here. :blush:
    ·
  • hornhonkhornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Jason, how's your brisket coming along?
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    Load it up with lump and set it at 250dome or wherever it wants to settle in north of that. Cook to 195-200internal and all should be well, including a nice bark.

Good Luck!
    ·
  • srq2625srq2625 Posts: 262
    I cook at about 225°F at the grid (dome is a bit more) and cook until the internal temperature is 192°F.

If you attempt to maintain a pit temp much less than 250°F (dome), you'll have a hard time keeping the fire going.

Since about Sep 2010 I've done at least 8 butt cooks and have found that anything less than 192°F is not quite enough and anything more than about 194°F is a bit too much. I've used 192°F as my target for the last three cooks and they have all been spot-on.
    ·
  • jetmechjetmech Posts: 75
    just took this one off, took the pic about 11:00am to send to my buddy whose house it's going to for a SX party tonight.
    78049669.jpg

I do everything at 235. Tried a new rub today that a friend of mine sent me, he's hoping to get it to market soon. Howie's Up In Smoke BBQ is the name, my little sampling was very good. It did darken up some more for a nice bark.
    ·
    hornhonk wrote:
    Jason, how's your brisket coming along?

Steve,
    My wife changed the plans a bit. Turns out she wants to have the brisket tomorrow. So....I'm planning to put it on early tomorrow morning, and then watch it all day in a rain storm. Can't wait. :angry: :cheer:
    ·
  • BacchusBacchus Posts: 6,019
    There will be absolutely no difference in the finished product of a butt smoked at 225 vs 250deg.
    ·
  • I'm relatively new at it, Bacchus, but I agree totally. Have done a few now and I find it easier to keep it stabilized at 250 than 225......other than that, no difference.
    ·
  • You have a nice looking butt! :laugh:
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
    ·
  • PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Sure there is. You use less charcoal and the butt gets done faster at 250.
    ·
  • jetmechjetmech Posts: 75
    Thanks, my wife likes it...er wait.... LOL
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    250 dome til it is done. ;)Rub is an option.Salt and peppa will do just fine.
    ·