Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

thirdeye can you look at this shoulder

Options

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Tim, I just read the whole ordeal. Too bad about your butcher. That was not cool. I'm glad to see you are going to cook it up anyway. I'm sure it will be good.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Tim, the money muscle is not the end-all-be-all of the pork butt. It is a relatively small portion of the butt that is used by some for comp turn-ins, along with other meat. There is so much meat left there and that shoulder will make good BBQ. You may have the tubes, horns and other good parts and will be happy with the flavor. Aside from the excessive trimming, your butt should should come out great.

I would suggest that when you mix it all up, nobody is going to gripe about "where is the money muscle" :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Thanks Faith. I'm sure these are great life lessons for me. I must admit I thought this was going to be the best fresh whole pork shoulder. I guess It could be just fine. :)

Thanks for your support. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I hear you Gene. Point well taken. Like you said the shoulder was excessively trimmed but should make some great bbq after all. ;)

I must admit this situation did sack me off. :angry: I planed for a week made this purchase to stock up on some pulled pork in my freezer for bragging rites as well as having extra bbq to put away for later eating...I could have cooked up a couple of big butts for all this effort. :blush:

I hope thirdeye is right and the butcher will hook me up better from now on. It's hard to know what you are getting when you have to ask him for the meat ahead of time and wait until the following week for him to kill and process the hog...

Thanks for your support Gene :)
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Tim, he should have known better as a butcher that wants repeat business. He could have leveled with you and dropped the price on the shoulder. When I am buying a butt for a comp I pay attention to the money muscle. When I am just doing a few for work or friends, I could care less how big it is because it plays such a little part of the total pull.

Actually, for work, I will usually cut the MM off and set it aside while I am pulling all of the butt. If someone wanders in for a taste, that is what I give them. When they roll their eyes back in their head, I know I've got them :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    The next time I'm ready for some pork I will check with him and see what he might do for me and go from there. He is starting a new business hasn't been doing it a year. I will check with him again and see how it goes. ;)