Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late Thanksgiving Mad Max Turkey....

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,027
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
......or one early thanksgiving turkey I like to say. Pretty much stole the turkey out of my parents fridge at their house. Mom wasn't sure about me taking the turkey she had thawing out in the fridge and have it grilled on a "egg". Mom: "I'm just going to put the turkey in the oven and invite you guys over for dinner". When selling her the idea, I went with the old hook and sinker bit. "Mom, they even call for wine in the recipe". Boom! Sold! Winning! (Sorry, had to throw a Charlie Sheen winning quote in it!) I then only realized that I have only seen pictures of perfect Mad Max turkeys before. I have never cooked a turkey in my life! After posting a few questions here on the board about fresh herbs, dhuffjr gave me the great tip on the fresh poultry packs they sell in the produce section. Just want to say thanks again for the tip! Went outside and fired up the egg. I locked in the egg at 325 degress using my auber insturment temp controller. After finishing up with the recipe, I walked outside and tossed the turkey on the egg at a perfect 325 degress. After an hour or so I went back outside to check on the turkey. The egg was chugging along at 440 degress. What? Oh sh*t! Somehow the thermocouple found it's way outside of the egg when putting on the turkey. It was trying to heat up Minnesota's cold winter air to 325 degress. Well I can tell you it doesn't work other than crisp up a tukey real quick! Kicked the temp down for the rest of the cook. After about 7 hours or so the turkey was done. I went with Mad Max's gravy as well. Everything went really good other then the first hour or so. The turkey was really tender and the gravy was to die for. Hands down the best gravy I have had. Took a few pics when I could. Had to take a pic of leftovers on the plate. Felt to odd with Grandma at the table to take pictures of the actual dinner.

DSCN8761.jpg

DSCN8763.jpg

DSCN8766.jpg
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments