Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

BBQ Guru vs. Stroker vs. Anything else

jbennyjbenny Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Due to my wife's constant urging, I'm finally going to spend some money. Of course it has to be on the egg. I'm having a hard time deciding between BBQ Guru or the Stroker or anything else out there. What is yalls opinions on which one is best?
·

Comments

• The Stoker is for someone who wants computer assisted control and the ability to control many different cookers with one unit.

The Guru is a simple plug & play device that offers similar control, but does not offer remote operation, and the ability to run several cookers simultaneously.

Both are great units - depends on your desired level of involvement and needs.

My .02 anyway.

Disclaimer...I own a Stoker system.
    ·
  • MusicMan78MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    After reading a bunch of threads on the subject I bought a stoker and love it. The computer interface is pretty cool and very user friendly on my laptop.
    ·
  • I have a Cyber Q II and it has been awesome and reliable. I have used it in really cold and hot weather aswell, when raining I designed a cheap shelter for it out of a plastic ziploc container. I believe the Digi Q is a waste of money since the Cyber Q can run 2 pits and it can be live over the internet and can be controlled aswell. I really like dealing with Bob and Kenny from BBQ Guru, some always gets back to you or help you along the way. I have sold many BBQ Guru with next to no problems.

Marc
    ·
  • Love my stoker and the service I get.
    ·
  • StonyStony Posts: 21
    Love My Stoker!!!!

Stony
    ·
  • I have had my Stoker for over 2 years and every time I use it, I love it a little more
    ·
  • ByronByron Posts: 6
    I've got a Stoker and couldn't be happier. The reason I went with the Stoker over the CyberQ is the built in web server. They can both be viewed/controlled remotely but with the CyberQ what you are essentially doing is plugging a computer into it via USB and then remotely controlling the computer with RDP or VNC or whatever. The Stoker just needs a network connection and you can mess with it from your laptop or if you have (or know someone with) mad network skills, from anywhere on your iPhone or other smart phone :)
    The only thing I would change if I could would be making a wireless Stoker. Since it doesn't exist (yet), I just slapped a wireless bridge on top with some double sided tape.
    Both are excellent units, easily expandable with additional fans/probes and I'm sure you will be happy with either one. I just couldn't pass up the chance to have a "Web-enabled Egg".
    Hope this helps,
    Byron

Stoker1.jpg
    Stoker2.jpg
    ·
  • I'm Stoked:

Stoker%20Remote%20Access.jpg
    ·
  • tjl5709tjl5709 Posts: 76
    I'm a geek, and the stoker fits my geekyness. It's fun controlling the egg while in the house on your PC. If you go and download Stoker log, you can graph your cooks and monitor them over time to judge when it will be done. If you have a target time for pulling your cook, you can adjust the temp accordingly.
    ·
  • Stoker log is running on the Brisket now (just took it out and foiled it a minute ago!!

STokerLog.jpg
    ·
  • Jumping JoeJumping Joe Posts: 114
    I too am STOKED! Here is a recent log of a butt cook. I kept the egg going for 22 hours before I shut it down. nice alarm features so you can sleep on overnight cooks....

Picture1.jpg
    ·