Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged "Commando" style hits the South!

Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I guess it was probably Stikes 100 day dry aged ribeye that put me over the edge. (Or perhaps it was Bubba Tims 'surprise' Super Bowl party for 40 that demanded the second fridge!) Regardless...We went "ALL IN"!!! Thought it through, and took the plunge!

Found Prime meats at Costco. Not being totally sure about the quality, I bought a couple steaks before buying the sub-primal, and they were AMAZING. (the steaks were sold fresh, mind you, not dry aged.)

Miscpics049.jpg
Seriously, melted in the mouth like buttah...with grilled artichokes and a simple baked potato. Amazing!

This prompted me to take it to the next (anticipated) level of home dry aging. So here are the TWO sub primals...one strip, one ribeye....
Miscpics054.jpg

While at Costco, found an oversized stainless dish drainer, that yes...fit both sub primals!! I was excited! I modified the drain draining board to catch any drainage (which amounted to just a few drips)...not worth my efforts there. :) So here they are, drainage board removed to increase airflow, and they are now officially one day old!

Miscpics057.jpg

Honestly, I can't thank Stike enough for his dedication to sharing this, so simple, but so rewarding endeavor! I'll keep you posted as this progresses! I see wonderful steaks in our future!
Stike, seriously, thanks again for the inspiration, and giving all the confidence to do this at home!

Be well everybody, and happy Eggin'!!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    You might say you went all in. Wow! Just let me know when you start taking reservations!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Here's a toast that commando pics refer to the steaks and not Bubba Tim
  • FLbobecu
    FLbobecu Posts: 309
    Excellent! Now no peaking, until they are done. ;)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I am SOOO envious.I had 2 Ribeye subprimals all ready to go, then we sold the house, so I steaked em up and froze em. :angry: I did a bone in RE for 51 days and it was great.Good luck! :)
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Michelle, you did that dry aged steak justice the way it's cooked to perfection! :) Love your choice of sides.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Michelle,

Looks awesome! I can't wait for the followup - egg-specially the cook !

I searched today for a good recipe for grilled/smoked artichoke, as I had picked up one today at the store. Neither of us has ever cooked an artichoke before.

Would you mind sharing your recipe/technique for grilling it - the one in your pic looks delish !

Thanks....
  • 3ggl0ver
    3ggl0ver Posts: 13
    Yes, well its a good idea in theory until you're wife tells you she wants a 50 day aged steak for dinner. Just not compatible with spontaneity. But then again, maybe its a good excuse for just disappearing from the house for the next 7 weeks before she gets the dinner you promised her.
  • Little Chef
    Clark: Absolutely! Though this may be a bit wordy! Wish I had thought to take pics. We do artichokes ANY time they look decent at the market, and usually end up fighting over them... :laugh: Definately one of our favorites!

First, pluck the tough leaves from the bottom and stem...usually about 20 leaves or so from each.

Next, lop off the top, about one inch. Use a cheap serrated knife. (It'll kill a good blade quickly)

Then (optional), I take kitchen shears and take the 'spike' off the top of any remaining leaves. Cut them in half through the stem. You will see purple leaves toward the center, and some fuzzy stuff.

Steam them, (above the water in a basket or whatever) until the lower/middle leaves will pull off without much resistance. Guestimate...30-40 minutes.

Remove them from the steamer, and when cool enough to handle, remove the "choke". Remove any purple inner leaves (they will still have spikes), and the fuzzy part that is in the 'heart' of the choke at the top of the stem. The fuzz will scrape out easily with a small spoon. The heart is the best part!! But not the fuzzy stuff! (It will make sense once you start at it!)

They can be eaten now, dipping the pulpy end in ranch dressing or butter, or whatever you like, by pulling a leaf, and scraping the tender side to your bottom teeth. Put it between your front teeth, then pull. The whole leaf is NOT edible...just the fleshy part. Scrape! You'll figure it out quick! Discard the stringy parts.

Or, as we did....I steamed, removed the choke, then drizzled with a BIT of EVOO, a bit of s&p, and italian seasoning, then grilled direct! Leaf side down first, then heart side down until a bit charred.

Truly...awesome. One of our favorites!! Hope this helps, and truly, they are a treat! Let me know how it goes!
  • Little Chef
    Huh? :huh: I guess that is why there is some advanced planning involed. Besides, I AM the wife, and it will be the hubby that reaps the benefits in a few weeks. ;) :laugh: He doesn't even need to go anywhere... :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Thanks, Michelle.

We had a grilled/smoked one as an appetizer last weekend when in Birmingham, AL. It was soooo good I had it on my mind when I when into Fresh Market today and they had a display - 2 for $6.00. Grabbed one up to try before realizing it would require a 40 minute steam, then cooling before grilling. Didn't have time tonight and will be out of town this weekend (Jana is running in the Little Rock, Ark half marathon on Sunday).
    Will try it first of next week and will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again and have a great weekend !
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    LC,

Now that's stocking up. :woohoo:

How's the project going?
  • Little Chef
    I don't think it will ever end... :laugh: Still need to send you some measurements so you can throw your hat in the ring! Architectural plans being done now. But no worries, you are in my thoughts once the planning is done. :);)
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Michelle,

So you bought a Kitchenaid eh?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Chef
    Kithenaid Dish drainer...yes. :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Why didn't you just move the subprimals to the new fridge?? :huh:
  • Little Chef
    You aren't kidding!! :laugh:
  • Hoss's BBQ
    Hoss's BBQ Posts: 435
    Michelle, Just wait you will love this method. I have been doing it for two years now. I find the sub primals on sale and by what I can dry age at that time. then cut into steaks and freeze the steaks than start all over. The good thing is that being a chef people will expect you know what your doing and not ask why the heck is that hunk of meat in your fridge. My buddies now buy themselves while bone in ribeyes etc and ask me to age them for them!! Enjoy Hoss
  • Little Chef
    Exactly!! :laugh: I just didn't have a large enough fridge to dedicate the space. Then we moved, the hubby invited 40 for the Super Bowl...hence, the "beer" fridge!! Can't wait!! :laugh: I see this as a roating thing...once the first sub primal is 'ready for harvest', the next goes in!!! :woohoo: :whistle:
  • Little Chef
    Thanks Rebecca! I admit, it was a memorable meal! ;) We can't wait to try the Prime grade aged at home! :woohoo:
  • davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    That's funny - walked into my first Costco last weekend, killing time while my car was being serviced, mostly because I had seen a few posts talking about meats at Costco...I almost had stopped buying steaks because I had gotten spoiled on prime grade when we lived somewhere else, but now there had been nowhere to buy them, and online they are 50 bucks per steak for a nice prime dry aged cut - a bit high except for special occasions...lo and behold there were prime ny strips and ribeyes - I turned around from the meat counter and proceeded to immediately buy a membership at the front of the store - I can't believe prime was only 20 minutes away for the last 2 years and I didn't know it...then back to the meat counter for 2 3-packs of strips(just me and wife - so thats 3 meals of 2 steaks)...like you I wanted to check quality - they were good, and now like you, I'm thinking about a whole rib cut...I'll be watching your aging process, because I really think that's how you take a (relatively)lower priced wet-aged steak and make it a Great dry-aged steak - in your fridge. Good luck and thank God for Costco - Good Beef Again!
  • Keep us posted when you finally cut into these. Been wanting to do this myself, just not sure yet. Thanks for posting
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Little Chef
    davehemp...I will post again and keep you apprised. I anticipate cutting into these on March 30...28 days in. That is the day my 75 y/o Mom will arrive in FL, and she has become spoiled by dry aged (market bought) beef. (she is only buying for one, so it is a splurge she truly appreciates!) When she leaves, we will be 45 days into the process, and hopefully she will have her fill of dry aged beef in the meantime! I'll post pics again in a week or so! Thanks for the interest. :) Honestly, search 'dry age Stike' if you want to truly get an education on dry aging! Stike has pushed it to new levels! :)
  • Little Chef
    Sure will! Kinda scary...it's 'only' $250 worth of Prime I am experimenting with... :blink: :pinch: Honestly, pretty confident. I'll keep you posted!
  • Little Chef
    Only to grab the occaisional beer... B) :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    867-5309.... :laugh:

Name that tune (and age yourself as badly as I am!!) :blush:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great post LC. Nothing better than a good ole melt in your mouth steak done the way you like it off your egg. :P I can't wait to see where your ribeye sub primal and you strip sub primal go from here. Like you I feel Stike is a great contributor to this forum. He has helped me out on many occasions. ;)
  • Wow, that steak looks great! I will be making a trip to Costco today.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Maybe I'll get the missus to buy into commando style. She turns her nose up so far.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Long story. :(
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Wonderful LC! How long are you going to make us wait to see the results? They coming to the Sunshine State Eggfest or are you bringing them to this summer's mini fest? :laugh:

My best to you and BT,

Blair