Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs

GeorgiaBorn
GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everyone! I was watching the Food Network a couple of nights ago and saw Guy Fieri eating some smoked beef ribs down in Texas. OMG, they looked amazing. I want to do beef ribs for the 4th and was wondering if any of you have done them on your Egg and if so could you offer up some tips?

I have read in a few places that 230 is a good temp and you should expect them to take about 5-6 hours. Some have even smoked them for 3 hours, removed them from the Egg and wrapped them in foil, added some cider in the foil and smoked for another hour and then basted them outside the foil for another hour.

How do you know when they are done? Some have said when the meat pulls away from the bone but I haven't seen anywhere online that someone has actually used a temperature probe to test doneness.

Anyway, any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I like orange juice for sweetness or soy for an oriental flavor.

Beef, Ribs, Richard Fl

100_2630.jpg

RIBSDONE-1.jpg

RIBSBEEFBACK2298.jpg

INGREDIENTS:

Procedure:
    1 Just pulled 5#'s about an hour ago. Individual ribs about 2-3"s long..Covered with a rib rub, Garlic herb and black pepper. refrigerated overnight.
    2 Cranked up large 7 AM and started to do indirect at 250F for 6 hours. Threw a handful of pecan chips just before the ribs and let smoke away After 2 hours basted with orange juice and bbq sauce mix diluted w/water and did this every hour after 4 hours dropped temp to 200F. total cook time 6 1/2 hours. Dinner is calling sooon!! We like sweet flavor of orange juice and the sauce to serve is whatever the moods are!
    3 Forgot to add, the ribs were bone side down the first 4 hours. left membrane on this batch, too much hassle to remove. Also raised grid.

Preparation time: 1 hour
    Cooking time: 6 hours and 30 minutes
    Ready in: 7 hours and 30 minutes

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/05/20
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Those do look good Richard.

Kent
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I've done two versions, both were good.

The first ones were made using a whole, untrimmed section of beef short ribs (full post here). I just rubbed them with my beef rub and mopped a few times. Right at 4-6 hours at 250f.

DSC_0049resized.jpg

The second ones were made using beef back ribs (full post here). These only took a couple of hours but I only cooked them to 170f internal and I used a higher temp (275f dome temp).

DSC_0085resized.jpg

Both were good. The short ribs were meatier but I preferred the taste of the back ribs better. Just a personal thing.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    The very first time I did beef ribs they were horrible. My fault, not much on the ribs and over cooked them.

It took 2 years for me to try them again and oh boy they were great.

beefrib3done.jpg

beefrib2.jpg

I got the ribs with the most meat I could find, put some DP seasoning on them and then indirect at 250° dome. There was a lot of rendering from the ribs so make sure you have something to catch those drippings.

I was pretty worried from my first beef rib cook so when I saw the pull back on the bone I used a probe (tooth pick will work) and the meat was tender. I decided to cut a chunk off and eat it.

It was to my liking and I pulled the racks from the egg. I have no idea of the temperature.

GG
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    the big thing is the ribs, you have to find good ribs, ask the local butcher, try to get some that have not been trimmed to the bone, most marts trim theirs b=down to the bone and then sell them frozen for .50 a pound, not good stuff. I get some from IBP, frozen but they are untrimmed and a full rack is seven bones. Fresh off the cow is best, but also expesive casue they may charge you for prime beef. Then it's 5 hours, 250 dome, no foil, pretty much will nail it.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    beefribs004-2.jpg

Low and slow. indirect 220-230degrees, around 7hrs depending of cut. shorter if you have the thinner long bones. The meat just literally melts in your mouth. Don't think about foiling.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    the trick to beef ribs is finding meaty ones, if they dont have enough meat on the bones they dont cook right. ill walk by that section for weeks til i see something i want. then its just a low and slow til done, the toothpick test is when they are done, might be 200/205/210 but test with the toothpick

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=674282&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GeorgiaBorn
    GeorgiaBorn Posts: 178
    Ok, so the meatier ribs are which ones? I saw some beef back ribs at the grocery last night but they looked pretty thin as far as meaty goes.

I want those Fred Flintstone meaty ribs! Any suggestions?
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    You'll probably have to find a good butcher shop to get the Flintstone beef ribs. That's what I do. They're great!

100_0446.jpg

100_0453.jpg
  • Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    As others say, when they're meaty...they're great!

IMG_2162.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2166.jpg
  • 3ggl0ver
    3ggl0ver Posts: 13
    Wow. I'm headed down to allen to speak with your butcher now about a half freezer load! Your pictures look delish.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841