Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

High-Que Gaskets

BigGreenGreggBigGreenGregg Posts: 161
edited 5:40PM in EggHead Forum
Anyone out there tried these yet? Seems to be a self-adhesive Nomex....

http://www.high-que.com/high-heat-grill-gaskets/
·

Comments

• DnormanDnorman Posts: 117
    The marketing seems a lttle untrue. I have yet to have problems with my regular gaskets and I cook at 750 pretty often.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,471
    Pretty expensive stuff!! They say it's Nomex on their Buy Now page. Don't know what kind of adhesive they use, but apparently it's not Super77. :)

Fwiw, you can buy aramid strips (generic name for Nomex) at McMaster.com. 1/8" thick x 1" wide. Either 10 or 50' lengths. 45¢/foot. So, instead of $33, you could get 10' for $4.50. But you'd still have to buy some adhesive. Don't know what the best adhesive is for Nomex.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • Assuming it is nomex, this is the enhanced bge gasket. It works better than the felt, but people still fry them. I think you would be better off with the 3M adhesive. The key is to not spray it on the egg, but to spray it into a cup and to then swab it on.
    ·
  • Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 8,471
    Then you are one of the lucky ones. I have two eggs. Felt gaskets fried within a couple of weeks on both. It is a common problem, so no, I don't think their statement is untrue at all.
    Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

·
  • I just replace my 3rd felt gasket in one year. BGE dealer had the new replacement. I will give it a try.
    ·
  • Nomex and Super-77. My felt gasket fell off the Egg before the first time I started it. Mothership sent a roll of Nomex to replace under warranty, and life has been good for 4 years and counting.
    ·
  • Thanks guys for feedback. Just interested, as there are so many gasket options out there. My large got semi fried during a pizza cook awhile back, and my new small (demo) was fried on the demo cook. Dealer is taking care of the small, and I think I'll try to get nomex for large from the other dealer I bought from.

Thanks again
    ·
  • 3ggl0ver3ggl0ver Posts: 13
    I asked this question to the girl at their toll free number and she said they are made out of real nomex, and the adhesive is a 3M one specifically for high-temp so they don't seem to be cutting any corners. i got one from their site (free shipping there) and will try it out soon.
    -brian
    ·
  • I recently bought one for my large BGE. The company shipped it super fast. The best part was that it installed without having to mess with spray adhesives. SO MUCH EASIER!
    ·