Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What made you do it...buy a BGE?

Options
13»

Comments

• Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Couldn't get ribs right on the Weber Kettle, bought a New Braunfels offset ... had to drag it out to the driveway and sit in the garage watching the temp when it was raining... Read about the egg... thought I could put it on the deck and watch it from the kitchen. Looked at Primo, Grill Dome, BGE... Eggfest planned for KC... signed up for demo... Eggfest didn't happen but the deal stayed... and the Egg has been on the deck since then. Oh yeah, the info on the forum was a big factor in my decision.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    and i thought you were a pizza king!!! not a wing king :P

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• lotery7
    lotery7 Posts: 13
    Options
    Lol it took me two years to talk my wife into letting me buy my lbge! It was a long time ago i went to a friends house and tryed brisket of the bge and that was it i WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANYTHING BUT A BGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best grill ever.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    BBQ Galore didn't tell me about a daisy wheel so I just cocked the rain cap and cooked that way for about a year. Then someone on the Forum suggested I get one.

I really had no problem using the rain cap but the daisy is easier.

Spring "I Got Me An Egg So Now What Do I Do" Chicken
  • No Cal Brian
    Options
    I live in an area that gets pretty windy and my old weber genesis was inconsistent in regard to temperature. I think the wind was messing with the flame. So after looking around for something that would work in all kinds of weather, I chose the bge and have had a blast. Who knew cooking could be so much fun.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Dr. Seuss is the wing king, not me.

I do cook a pretty mean pizza though.
  • Seattle Todd
    Options
    Great question! I'd just bought my first house with my then girlfriend/fiancee. I was WAY into food, and still am today, but hadn't had any sort of BBQ in a while.

Passing mention to my manager at the time that I was shopping for a grill (Weber) at the time and he referred me to a person in our group that was CRAZY over this "weird BBQ".

Talked to him, it was the Egg he was so in love with. Went to check it out. Bought it that day with the housewarming cash gifts we received and a bit more.

I'm an impulse shopper and am rarely wrong on expensive things. Anything under $100 I purchase tends to languish in some storage area.

The BGE was one of the best commitments I've made in my life. Much better than the girlfriend/fiancee/wife/now ex-wife. B)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    Options
    My nose led me to it, kind of. I used to be a real estate appraiser and went into many homes. At one of them I smelled the most mouthwatering smell...brought back the heavenly smell in the sparerib restaurants I loved, growing up in Chicago. Out on a deck was a smoker with scented smoke curling out if it (not a BGE), and the owner explained he was "smoking." I had no idea you could do that at home!

So I checked out smokers and whatever Barbeques Galore had in stock, and met a really old couple looking at a Big Green Egg on the sales floor. I asked them what it was, and they explained how it worked, said they'd had one for years (this was 15 years ago) and it was the most incredible cooker on the planet!

I always listen to wise old people and when the time was right I got a Large, and then a Small, and recently a Mini...and now I'm the wise old person giving out free advice and a website address to strangers.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    I had been cooking on offsets for years. When I finally got old enough that staying up all night was night an option I bought a bullet. Last summer I found that my remaining, not too old, offset and grill was rusting out. The bullets, while efficient enough to run for hours without intervention, were not versatile at all. Once I added up what I had spent in the past 5 years on rusting metal this or that it was an easy choice. I have been an egghead ever since and grow more excited about the cooker every day.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    the first one was easy. I was sick to death of buying gassers and not being happy with the food off them... and trying to fix them as we burnt them out so fast. we ate off the grill about every night in good weather. went to year round eating off the egg :)
    my struggle is with Egg number 8...... we did 61 lbs of pork butt the other night and really wished we had an XL. but we only do that a couple times a year..... hence the struggle LOL
  • littlecarrots
    Options
    All the previous ones were falling apart in one way or another - warping, rusting, lines breaking, etc. Ready for something sturdy that would last the long haul. And the reports on the food quality didn't hurt either!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Hoss,

You can't marigolds. :laugh:

ba383135.jpg
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    It took just one dinner at a family friends place. After seeing it in action, smelling it and then eating the beef tenderloin, my OCD took over and couldn't stop thinking/talking about it to my wife. She shut me up with a large delivered a couple days later.

That was Dec. 30th 2008. :woohoo:

a couple stress relieving purchases :P and here we are.
    IMG_0120.jpg
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

They took pity on me trying to find foods that my diabetes likes. Much of what we cook on the egg is protein and OK. I love my egg and this forum that came with it. :)

Blair

• snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    A small add in a magazine and then this forum. Simple.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I was using a pretty good gasser and knew I wanted to go back to charcoal, but just could not get happy about buying a Weber.

I saw an article about the BGE in one of my cooking magazines (Fine Cooking I think) and I knew I needed to have one. I actually became obsessed about getting one.

I started reading the forum and must have been looking 20 times per day. I could not believe what people were cooking! The rest it history.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: TOOOO FUNNY! ;)