Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone - Does Size Matter?

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I will be ordering my large BGE tomorrow from my local dealer. I know what eggcessories I will be ordering but I have a question on the pizza stone. The BGE stone is 14" while the grill grate is 18". Is it possible to use a 16" pizza with the plate setter or will the larger size of the 16" pizza stone cause problems with the air flow around the pizza resulting in a burnt or undercooked pie. One of the stones that I am interested in is on ebay (please see below link). I think I need the larger stone as I forsee me having to wait until the second pizza is ready as my family is crazy hungry when it comes to pizza.[p]Thanks,
John

[ul][li]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4354385967[/ul]
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Retired Railroader,a lot of us use 16 inch stones in the large eggs. That stone looks good although there are many reports of cheaper stones fracturing in the Egg due to the heat. I use a 16 inch kiln shelf from Davens Ceramic in Atlanta. Kiln shelves will not break. I think they run about $22. They have a web site...

• usa doug
    Options
    Retired Railroader,
    I recommend buying a plate setter with your egg purchase.
    This will allow the pizza stone to be raised to a height level with the egg opening, therefore you will be able to slide the pizza on and off easier. [p]Doug

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    DSCN0106-O.jpg
    <p />usa doug,
    Here is a good picture of the plate setter.
    Larry

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    YB,[p]And in my large, it's good to put the legs in that position / alignment to help make up for the hot spot in the back right....
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Retired Railroader,[p]I've seen several posts here about thin stones like the one on ebay cracking. [p]Here's another option. I have both the large BGE stone and the platesetter. I usually cook my pizza and bread directly on the platesetter (legs down). I always put my platesetter or stone in the egg immediately after I start my lump so they come up to temp with the egg. So, why not try putting both the platesetter and stone in the egg. With the stone on top of the platesetter (legs down), cook your first pizza. Pull the stone and pizza when done and immediately put the second pizza on the platesetter.[p]Another option many use is the pizza screen. I've never tried screens cause I like a hard, crisp bottom on my pizza and a stone pulls a bit of moisture out. Not sure I would get the same effect with a screen, but I am going to give it a try because, like you, I want that second pizza cooked fast and having two made up sittin in screens ready to go seems like a good solution.[p]Now, you probably will be considering option three after you get your egg and enjoy the food you make. This option involves buying a second egg so you can cook two pies at the same time![p]good luck.

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    YB,[p]I will be ordering the plate setter with my egg. I have two questions though, my original about the size of the pizza stone effecting the airflow and what does Mark Backer mean by "it's good to put the legs in that position / alignment to help make up for the hot spot in the back right.... ". Is there a hot spot in the back that I should be aware of and if so what causes this as I thought with the circular shape of the egg it would be very hard for a hot spot to occur.

• YB
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I never thought about that but you right.
    Larry

• usa doug
    Options
    Retired Railroader,
    There is a hot spot in the back of most eggs. It is the nature of the beast and nothing to get excited about. Place the leg of the setter to the back and it will help deflect some of the heat. When cooking pizza, rotate the pizza about every 5 min. for a even crust.
    I like pizza screens. I can be getting one ready while cook another and I like a thin, crispy crust.[p]Doug

• YB
    Options
    Retired Railroader,
    You can use a 16" stone on the plate setter with no problem.I will let Todd answer about the hot spot.You will love the egg I have had one for 16 years.
    Larry

• Trouble
    Trouble Posts: 276
    Options
    Retired Railroader,
    I have read thoughts here that the hot spot occurs (when it does--I haven't noticed it in any of my cooks) because it is directly across from the opening and therefore enjoys a more direct airflow. Speculation, but sensible speculation.[p]As to cooking pizzas, I have not ventured into the world of making dough, but use Boboli crusts. So the pizza stone isn't important. I prepare my pizzas on aluminum foil and have a piece of foil sitting on the platesetter. Slide the prepped pizza with foil onto the foil on the platesetter (so two thickness of foil, now). Go make my next pizza. Slide first one off (with one sheet of foil) and slide next one on. Piece of cake (or pie). Part of the fun with the egg is that there are so many different ways to do things and many of them work really well. Have fun playing.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Retired Railroader,
    I have used 16" in the large, 14" in the medium and 12" in the small. Here's a link to my pizza hints and tips page:[p]TNW

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz's Pizza Hints and Tips Page[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Fisheyes
    Options
    katman,
    Forget pulling out the stone. Use a peel and take the pizza off the stone. Then, put your second pizza on the already hot stone in the egg.[p]I also use the combination of plate setter and pizza stone. I put both in the egg during the "heat-up" phase and I don't take them out until I am done cooking all of the pizzas. We use a second pizza stone to keep the first pizzas warm in the oven, while the others are on the egg.[p]Basically, do exactly what is says on the Naked Whiz site and you'll be a happy egger. That is what I do![p]thanks,
    Brad

• JPF
    JPF Posts: 592
    Options
    Retired Railroader,
    I would suggest you get a good one from the start. This one was a cheap one from a local store. This was like the second time it was used too! What road you retired from? I work for UP. Jon[p]100_0634.jpg

• JPF,
    I retired from the Long Island Rail Road, I was there for 30 years. I started out as an Assistant Signalman and retired as a Project Manager in charge of design review for the Engineering Systems (Signal, Communications, 3rd Rail) for the new East Side Access project (bringing LIRR trains into Grand Central Station).

• Retired Railroader,[p]The reason that the pizza stone from BGE is 14" in diameter is that this is the best size stone for the large cooker. Many folks do use a larger stone but if you plan to cook many pizzas in a row, don't use a larger stone as it will screw up the flow thru the cooker. You talk about an 18" grid in the cooker. In the real world, you need to subtract the width of the fire ring and this gets you down to about a 15" in diameter grid. With any baking, the stone will be above this diameter but a fellow really needs to cooker to flow as much convection air as possible for the best results. If the stone is too large, the temp under the stone may be as much as 200-300 degrees over the temp above the stone and this sure doesn't make for good baking other than doing one pizza at a time. [p]13MVC-001S.jpg[p]The above picture shows a 13-14 inch in diameter pizza on the recommended 14" in diameter hearth stone along with the plate setter in my large cooker. This size pizza cut into 8 pieces is about a whole meal for most folks especially if you are serving a salad or something with it. [p]If your setup is right, the second pizza will come off the cooker in only a few minutes more and your crazy hungry family as you call it should be happy with the results of your bake. [p]Last but not least, forget about trying to improve any baking on the cooker. Please use the recommended parts and I think your baking will come out better. [p]Dave

• The Virginian
    Options
    Old Dave,
    BBQFAN1 said he was having issues on the XL with pizzas being done on the bottom before they had completely set on the top. Do you think it could be suffering from the problem you describe? I think he has an 18 or 20 inch pizza stone for the XL. [p]Brett

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Thanks Dave I think you covered all the bases for me and your picture sure showed what I am looking for in a pizza. Any chance of coming over and getting a slice?

• The Virginian,[p]I would really like to play around with this cooker. I would think that with a 24" in diameter cooking grid that a hearth stone no more than about 18" in diameter would work well at the right temp for most baking. I would think that if the top of the pizza is not done before the bottom is burnt, I guess I would lower the temp as I think this might work. I really don't know much about this cooker but would love to play with it but my wife would kill me. I got too may cookers now and I really don't need another. [p]Dave

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Old Dave,
    If you've already got "too many" cookers, then you already know (as does your wife) that whatever you have now is NEVER enough. [p]Just drink the kool-ade. You'll feel better.

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    Fisheyes,[p]I usually just build the pizza on the peel and put it on the platesetter. Pull when cooked and drop the second pizza on. I haven't tried using both the stone and platesetter but, like you suggested, I figure you could pull the stone and the first pizza, cook the second on the platesetter while the stone keeps the first warm (usually doesn't last long enough to get cold).