Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to stay in Washington

Options
Chef Charles
Chef Charles Posts: 871
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Heading down to DC in June to catch the first round of the US Open. We plan to stay downtown so we can so some sightseeing over the weekend. We have never been there and would like to here your suggestions.

Thanks

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

Comments

• CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    We're staying at the Residence Inn at 1199 Vermont Ave in April which isn't far from the White House. It was recommended to us and is close to a lot of the places we want to see this time. Last year we stayed at the Liaison which is near the Capitol building and Union Station. Way overpriced for what you get, even for DC. The Residence Inn is reasonable but I don't have a clue about the prices for the Open. Make sure you check reviews of hotels. My wife wanted to stay and a refurbished old hotel and many of the reviews spanning the last couple of years were complaining about the very small elevators that didn't work a lot of the time.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    try the "W". ..its the remodel of the old hotel washington, right at the corner of pennsyslvania avenue and 15th straight close to the white house... .great rooftop bar with terrific views. ....

a bit of a hike up to bethesda for the Open though. ...

btw, if you have never been to congressional, give me a holler as time gets close and i'll tell you the best places to watch the action. . ..i was there for the Open back in 98 and the senior open as well (i was standing at number 7 when nicklaus had his hole in one on saturday at the senior open!). ...fantastic golf course!!! . ..

i plan on going on tuesday for the practice round. ..best day to go cause you can yack with the players and take pictures!!. ...and probably again on saturday. ...its too crazy on sunday for the final round...
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Max

I was wondering when you might chime in. Thanks for the suggestion. We are only taking in one round at the open and we figure we can get there on the metro. The rest of the time we want to take in the sights -- it will be our first time in DC not counting stopovers at Dulles.

By the way, didn't your caps want to take advantage of the Senators recent fire sale? I would have thought Gonchar would have made a good power pay quarterback for you guys :laugh: :blink: :evil:

Tom

Tom

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    hi tom....

gotcha on the open....you will need to check the US OPEN web site one it gets closer and see if they are running shuttles from a metro station over to the golf course. ...its probably a good 5 miles from the nearest metro stop ....i'm sure they probably will, but worth checking in advance.....

and like i said, if you are only there for one round, lets talk in advance and i'll tell you the best places to watch the action!!

also, the W is walking distance to the smithsonian museums, the holocaust museum and all the major monuments (lincoln, vietnam, WWII, Washington, etc).....

yeah, caps got some good players at the deadline but no from the Sens ....why would we want gonchar, we let him go 6 years ago!! LOL ...

i did enjoy watching the leafs beat shitsburgh last night!!! they are only 4 points out of playoff spot now ...i'm sure little steven is pinching himself with glee!!!
  • Chef Charles
    Options
    Max,

I will be in touch to be sure.

Tom

Tom