Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 firering idea and following dr. bill's orders

2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am supposed to get a fresh whole pork shoulder in the morning from a Yorkshire (White) hog that was hoofing it not long ago. :P

Today I was getting my egg ready for the cook to begin in the morning. So, I took out the fire ring and put it in my other large egg so I could align my fire box. I noticed It wasn't quite aligned to my liking. :huh:

How long of a cook could we have if I filled this egg up to the top of the double fire ring. Hey I may have come up with a good idea here. We'll call it the 2Fat technique. :whistle:

000_2578.jpg

I still think we could grill or even slow cook stuff for a long time. :woohoo:

000_2579.jpg

Uncle bill suggested we all check our nuts and bolts now so, we don't have a hot dome in our lap sometime.

I loosened the band bolts then loosened the 8 hinge nuts. Then I aligned the dome with the base and tightened the band bolts back up being sure my dome and base was sitting down tight and not overlapping. Then I checked the egg for an over bite or under bite and adjusted if needed. I then check again and slowly tightened the 8 hinge bolts back up and tested the fit. I even used a dollar bill. Just right. ;)

000_2580.jpg

Don't think I cheated here I had that brace off for the "Handler" as well. ;)

000_2581.jpg

000_2583.jpg

Have any of you tried this soft drink? I bought 24 cans and can't stand it. It's red in color and tastes funny like a Birch tree would taste. :silly: :sick:

Thanks for looking. :)

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    dude, what are u cookin that's gonna take longer that the 40 hours it'll run with ONE fire ring?! side of beef?! :laugh:

Is it ok to reuse already bent bolts?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    :woohoo: Hey Michael, Just so you know I put the fire ring back in the other egg. :laugh:

About the bolts I did reuse them but, I simply loosened and adjusted and re tighten. I did not see a bolt twisting or fracturing or stretching. I am some what handy and hope the last statement don't bite me in the butt. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    I hope you're right too! Would hate to see Humpty fall! I just got a set of mates and figured I'd reuse. If I'm not mistaken, they are nothing more than Grade 5 (three radial marks on the head) carriage bolts though. Should be available at the hardware store.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I have seen other double up the rire ring in the past.
    I think you can get a long enough cook filling up to the top of your original fire ring.
    Advantage of two is it gives you a raised grid past felt line for direct cooking.
    The other point is direct heat is shielded by your second fire ring at your gasket level. Might help save your gasket in real high temp cooks.
    You can also now run two pieces of round bar or flat bar in between your two fire rings and add a pan or pizza stone for indirect cooking while cooking on your upper grid.

Looks like your second ring could use a good high temp cook. :laugh:

Great post. Can't wait to see your finished cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    The only issue I would have is putting so much heat right next to the gasket. It looks old anyway and probably won't be too affected. On a new gasket, that set up might burn it up pretty good. Especially on high heats.
  • 2Fategghead
    I have two large eggs and last year the one egg got new carriage bolts and about 18 months ago the other egg got new carriage bolts with the new nomex.

Did you get the plastic mates? :ermm:
  • Carolina Q
    nope. wood. not a plastic kinda guy. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    How could I think a double fire ring was never thought of with all these great minds using BGE's ;) I was simply putting my fire ring some where while I turned my fire box in my other egg. ;) You have a great idea about slipping a baking stone in between the two fire rings. ;) One egg has a nomex gasket still and I use it for most of my low temp cooks so everything in that egg is all gunked up. :) You see how my other egg gets treated I ain't got nothing growing in it. :woohoo:
  • 2Fategghead
    Yeah that eggs gasket is pretty much non existent. I wasn't really going to use that setup I wanted to turn my busted fire box a little and removed the fire ring for a minute. :) Although it may have it's merits double fire ring that is. :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    There are some very creative people on this forum.
    Hard to find a brand new idea but this was still new to you and it was a good idea no matter what.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    always fllow Dr.'s orders.. re using bolts is fine ,, make sure they are bent,,
    and RRP's double nut tecnique is a winner ..
  • 2Fategghead
    thanks bill. I actually think I got a better seal on my nomex egg. better since I put the new gasket on. :whistle:
  • davehemp
    davehemp Posts: 109
    Wow, has this got me thinnking...I like the idea of just buying an extra fire ring instead of an adjustable rig...having the option of raising the level of my ci above the rim and having extra heat mass and even extra protection for the gasket??? Am I getting this right? Sounds like a good idea...
  • 2Fategghead
    davehemp, This is not a tried technique by me. Maybe others have done this. I was simply saying it is a possibility but, mainly goofing around. I did check and the dome will close. :)
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    that ceramic mass will give off a lot of heat at the gasket level...I think you would be more inclined to fry a gasket than to protect it.
  • davehemp
    So you think the heat would be worse on the backside of that ring than the direct heat emitting from the flames? I was thinking of this set-up mostly for super high heat pizza cooks where I have flames shooting up around the platesetter right at gasket level(fried the original gasket right soon, now have nomex, next up is Rutland), and sometimes it still doesn't actually get as hot as I want - I don't think I use enough lump - maybe need to go over the top of the firebox and up a couple inches up fire ring? I have a hard time getting over 650...anyway I think my pizza would cook better if I could get it up higher in the dome, and would balance with the pizza stone temp better also. I thought another fire ring and something to block the center like what was suggested(couple of bands w/ a stone on them between rings) might work better than the platesetter for pizza anyway...I was wondering about any dome closure problems - that's been answered. Interested in all thoughts and/or experiences from all - thanks for yours 2Fat and cghc...
  • 2Fategghead
    For what it's worth I had the plate setter on top of the two fire rings legs down and was able to close the dome. You think if you had a spider on the top fire ring and a baking stone on that you could bake a pizza on the plate setter? Just a thought. :)

Like I said I was fooling around and thought I would take a picture.

I have to say I have a three other set ups for pizza.
    (This is the way I have been baking pizza)

1. Plate setter legs down green feet and baking stone.

2.Plate setter legs up grid then baking stone.
    (I haven't tried this way yet but was told it works better than the first way)

3.Adjustable rig and baking stone on top of grid.
    (I haven't tried this way.)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    shoulder2.jpg

Did you happen to get a measurement on this shoulder? Here is one on a 24" grate.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 2Fategghead
    Now you went and done it. You are just the person I want to talk to. I did get my shoulder today and the butcher cut a lot of the meat off the butt. I told him I was disappointed and he said I could bring it back and he could make more money grinding it up for sausage. I have the pic's so I'll show you and you tell me what you think.

It weighs 15 pounds but is flatter than a flutter. :unsure:

Is the money muscle between the picnic or on the other end of the butt?

About 4 inches tall at the tallest point.

Last week I ordered/asked for a whole shoulder the biggest.

000_2590.jpg

000_2589.jpg

000_2588.jpg

000_2587.jpg
  • davehemp
    Yep, your No. 1 option is the way I've been doing it...wow, I can't believe there is room for the platesetter still with 2 fire rings...if you still put the green feet and stone on top of that, do you think there's room for pizza? It wouldn't add any width - just height...crank up the guru fan straight in wide open for about an hour, and it seems you'd have one helluva hot pizza oven going...?
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Tim,I would take it back and get a Whole,UNTRIMMED shoulder(skin and all).Just my opinion.I have cooked dozens of them and never trimmed or skinned any of them.The Butt/Picnic combination,when mixed together,TRUMPS either cut by itself. ;) Good Luck.
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Hoss. I'm very saddened by this purchase. I'll keep the meat because I said I would. I know he cut a bunch of meat off it. Probably 5 pounds of the best part of the butt.

Man he's my bacon connection SOB :unsure:
  • Hoss
    That's why I order them UNTRIMMED.I had rather trim em myself IF I were gonna trim em.He is a businessman.He sold you that and probably made as much as you paid him for the shoulder selling YOUR trimmings! :( :unsure:
  • 2Fategghead
    Your right Hoss. That is exactly what he did. When he called me on the phone to come and get it he said it weighed 15 pounds I said you didn't cut the money muscle off it did you and he said he didn't know what that was. They can grind it up into sausage and make more money. Money Money Money WTF I will continue to look for good deals and learn something tomorrow. I stay out of Wall mart for this. :blink:
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    moneymuscleporkbutt.jpg

The money what?? Hehehee. Yeah, I can just see his face now. Here is the deal, most meatcutters are good folks but they get in the habit of being the expert because the average consumer just doesn't know any better. So, once they know that you know what you really want, boy.... you will get much better service.

Okay, back to your question. The picture above is a butt that I cut into pork steaks, but the cross section shows it all. Use the blade bone as your reference. The area marked C (and really a little beyond as well) is where the money muscle is located. They tend to swell and pooch out during smoking, and are easy to spot. Here ia photo that Todd Johns sent me showing a bunch of money muscles, and another one showing one in a turn in box.

Plowboymoneymuscleporkbutt2.jpg

Plowboymoneymuscleporkbutt.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Hoss
    Dat oughta splain it.Great pics. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Wayne. He sold me the picnic with part of the butt attached. He cut most of the butt off. He must have had a customer come in wanting some country ribs. It looks like he took off the entire muscle group at the end of the butt plus took off from the other angle. The whole shoulder (if you want to call it that) has been trimmed off. Like I said the whole thing was barely 4 inches tall.

I hope your right about him giving me what I want from now on cause I'm not sure I want to go back. One part of me does because he could be my ultimate belly connection. Right from the start he told me he could cut me anything I want.

Thanks for all the pic's I knew he (Roy) had my whole shoulder butchered badly. The man is as big as a house. I have no doubt he or his wife could pick me up and handle me badly. :unsure:

The thing of it is Roy is the new butcher in town. There are three more major grocers here and one is owner operator and has been here a long time and a fine butcher. His name is Butch. Fidel likes it when I talk about Butch the butcher. :laugh: The other butcher Danny has been here a long time and he is great to deal with but, is limited to what he can do for me unless I buy in bulk. The other is a Piggly Wiggly store and they would cut up a dog and sell it if they thought they could get away with it and play dumb all at the same time.
  • 2Fategghead
    davehemp wrote:
    ...if you still put the green feet and stone on top of that, do you think there's room for pizza? It wouldn't add any width - just height...

Dave I'm not sure and I have my doubts. I'll goof around some more and see what I can come up with. I don't know how soon that will be because I may start a whole shoulder cook today. I haven't made up my mind yet. I recently got a bum deal on that cut of pork. I'll let you know what I come up with. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    Your the best Hoss. ;)

Gotta love ya mang. :)