Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Econamy Grade

cooksome
cooksome Posts: 88
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Econamy Grade whole boneless beef ribeyes are $2.98lb.
Simiboneless angus ribeyes are $5.88lb
I've never bought econamy grade and was just wanting some input.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    This is only MY HONEST opinion.Unless you plan on grinding it into burger,NEVER buy ANYTHING less than CHOICE.You will be money ahead.I got tricked into buying some of that junk once.It did make good burgers though.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    cooksome: With no disrespet, please...you get what you pay for. If you want a steak you can enjoy, spend the money on the better grade. ;)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Economy grade meat would be great for Beer night with the guys or Sous Vide cooking.
    Even the Angus can be hit or miss. Some look near prime grade and some look like crap. Rare to see it graded in the store, at least local at Krogers and Randalls.
    I bought a whole boneless ribeye from RD last week.
    It was marked Angus Choice Gold. It was very nice and less than $6 a pound.
    Good luck,
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    run away.

there's no such thing as "economy" grade. maybe select or worse, cutter.

in either case, there's a reason it is so cheap. nothing too cheap is ever good.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    LC... you get my long-winded answer to your aged-beef email (sent thru the forum)?

...max was not getting my emails yesterday either
  • Photo Egg
    I sent one to LC this mornig as well.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stike
    my email is all frigged up, but i can't tell if it is across the board or just sending to one account or domain (comcast addresses have blocked my host's server before).

i have two addresses and two ways of sending (phone, PC). debugging it is not anything i have time for, but i kinda worry clients aren't getting emails now.... :ermm:
  • Photo Egg
    I did get your reply from the Stumpbaby post.
    Your email hit mine at 9:04 last night.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stike
    cool. thank you.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i would take the gamble, ribeye is the only one i would try it with though :laugh: i prefer a choice grade ribeye over prime. would look the pieces over real good though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    I agree with ribeye being the only cut I'd take a chance with. If it doesn't work as a steak, you could probably get away with partially freezing it, then slicing it thin and using it for cheese steak sandwiches.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • cooksome
    cooksome Posts: 88
    Thanks yall I think I'll get a small one cut one inch thick just to see Thanks again
  • To paraphrase the words of Michael Pollan, "spend more and eat less" -- you'll be happier with the quality than the quantity.