Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Got some new toys from Cabelas...need ideas

Options
MusicMan78
MusicMan78 Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I went to Cabela's and the bargain cave was kind to me today. They were offering various extra percentage off stuff already marked down.

Got this grinder for 100.00, it looked brand new and asked the worker why it was there. He checked the SKU and said that it came from HQ and had simply sat in the warehouse too long so it was BRAND NEW! Just a few steps outside the cave the exact same model was 169.99

DSC00518.jpg

Needed a slicer and found the lower end Cabela's brand to feel cheap. This Waring Pro was a refurb (had a cheapo plain brown box) but had a bigger blade and more watts than the comparable store brand, so for 24.99 was worth a try and it works just fine.

DSC00513.jpg

Also got a tub of various little things I have been wanting....so got all of this stuff for about what I would have paid for just the grinder new.

DSC00519.jpg

So my question is: can someone direct me to a good pit beef recipe so I can try it this weekend. Also I just got the Charcuterie book and would like some input on what sausage recipe works out well. Also any advice on pit beef or sausage making would be cool too.

Thanks everybody!

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You can see my version of pit beef in the "cooks" section of my website....pretty good score you made.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    here are a few ideas>

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=757162&catid=110790&catid=1

Beef, Roast, Eye of Round, Pit Beef, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome

INGREDIENTS:

Procedure:
    1 "Pit beef" is not pulled beef, nor is it intended to be. .. for pit beef, you are taking a pretty lean cut, like an eye of the round or top round roast. . ..roasting it quickly (at 375 degrees till done), then very thinly slicing it (shaved is the best way to describe it). . .the fact that it is 'tender' is really a trick of being sliced so thinly. ..if you sliced a typical pit beef roast thickly, it would be tough as nails. . ..also, by pulling it at rare/medium rare temps (around 130 internal), it will have plenty of juice. . .. i do pit beef fairly often. .. eye of the round coated heavy in dizzy redeye express, then roasted at 375 degrees dome temp on grid over inverted plate setter. ..a whole eye of the round only takes about 1 1/2 hours. . . .wess b also has a great pit beef recipe on his site. ...
    2 for pulled beef, i really think you need something like brisket or chuck, etc.. . .something that when cooked a long time at low temps, will fall apart for you... .i think its clayQ that has the good pulled beef recipe that i think you can find on the dizzypig recipe page . .

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Mad Max Beyond Eggdome, 2006/08/07
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Christmas in February! Nice
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Dave, The sausage book (bible) that you need is, Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. By, Rytek Kutas
    Thirdeye suggested it and I love it. You will learn alot from it.
    Nice scores!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas!
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    I have a non-refurbished Waring slicer, just like yours and I hate it! It could be the actual unit itself. I got it "new" at a thrift store for $35 so I am not heart broken. I cannot get my Italian beef "kramer" thin and it pisses me off. Also the blade stops and stutters sometimes.

But your unit is working out for you? What is the thinest you have gone?

Nice haul by the way!
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    Going to do some pit beef this weekend (U of M vs. MSU basketball party) so I will hopefully have some pictures up. Only thing I cut up so far was a cucumber and besides irritating the wife with 100 medallions of cucumber all over the kitchen haven't done much else with it but clean it.