Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To think this used to be a friendly place

Options
13»

Comments

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Aside from a few odd personal attack posts in the past few months directed at certain individuals I find this place to be very very tame for the sheer number of forum users. I find it very inviting and the folks on here (old and new) very helpful. Most of the people on here seem genuine to me. There are always going to be people who rub you the wrong way as they come off as arrogant or whatever, but why let it bother you? Just ignore it and move past their posts. IT's not worth it.

As for Loney. It baffles me about all that. I see people being Kings, Queens and High Lords of it, but I stopped eating bologna a long time ago. LOL. Is that even what it is? Is this the loney that people are referring to? I'll just be me and call it good.

Also, I can't recall if it was this thread or not as there have been so many pages, but I want to say that people shouldn't look so into the number of posts a person has. Just because I don't have 5K or 10k, or even 1K posts or more (or anyone else for that matter) it don't mean I (we) are not experienced and good people. Old forum members and new can all be valuable. I understand it takes time for new people to "fit in", but you shouldn't treat them any different. Everyone started on here with Post #1.

I feel it's a great forum. I hope everyone here tries to continue to keep it that way and not turn it negative. If you have an issue with someone, Man/woman up and talk to them about it. Don't blast everyone in public, then make people take sides and cause drama. That's just sad. Then again that Tweeve guy seemed to perhaps be the exception to that rule. :laugh:
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Thanks, Darian. All is good. :~)

Admittedly, I'm fiercely loyal to my friends and the pit bull in me, for good or bad, comes out when I feel they are being treated unfairly.

Also the written word, especially on these forums, is way overrated...

john
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    Andrew,
    It's the end of winter and things get cranky around here every year about this time. And you are right about people putting WAY too much emphasis on post count. The last person you mentioned would bump his post total about 100+ a day by posting "Great job!" and "Looks good" or "I've been meaning to try that" all day. Plus an occasional link to a non-BGE site when someone ask for a recipe.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Thank you John.
    You should be loyal to your friends. Much respect to you. If your friends are not worth defending they are not worth your friendship.
    Hope to get or stay on your good list.

Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    sometimes people do/say things and other people take offense to it. in most cases the intent to hurt someone usually isn't there.

in every situation both sides share responsibility.

That's not always easy to see. Seeing how you contributed to a situation isn't always easy. Because our hurt act like blinders.

We're all grown people here and should be able to express our thoughts/feelings without lashing out. After all isn't that what most of us teach our children?

and by the same token, those of us who were the offender...whether intentional or not should acknowledge that our actions, although maybe not intentional can cause others to take offense.

I don't know the history between many of the people who actually know each other.. and I don't need to.

The ideas still very relevant.
    context is important :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    how are you an oldtimer when they still consider me an upstart? i welcomed you here when you first started posting
    :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    I keep racking my brain and don't remember having words with you in the past. I believe you but since there is no memory, the event doesn't exist for me... all is good!

john
  • stike
    Options
    i'd agree with you except that i always try to acknowledge the other person's point, and tell them i understand it, and hope they will see mine. i do not get the same courtesy.

and after a few tries, i find it is pretty easy to dismiss them, as they seem intent on enjoying the taste of their bile rather than having any real dialogue about it.

i said i was sorry a number of times for their being insulted... no one who ranted at me acknowledged they may have taken it wrong or that they may have over reacted. and since i see that there are 2 out of maybe 40 people who felt it was something utterly different than what it was, i am no longer worried about the other 2.
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    then you do agree with me :)

you're doing/have done the very things I mentioned. you can't be expected to do more than that.

we are all responsible for our own actions. I've seen you own up to yours.

Now i have to go home and try and that out my lower vent. I don't have a torch... I'm hoping lighting a fire in the base will do it in a short amount of time.

just sayin...
    context is important :)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Fish, same story here though a little later. Back in 2004 I had the audacity to ask if there was a cheaper alternative to the bbq guru that might do the same thing, I was thumped like an ass by the almighty NW & some others. Apparently by that date the lovey dovey rose patch was long gone
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,746
    Options
    should also mention that the little advice i did get on the food safety issue was wrong, not many forum members back then understood food safety at all, good thing the newbies over the years picked up the slack ;):whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    well i was invited to use my finger as a thermometer so it was pretty clear where I stood as someone worthy of getting advice
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    "I keep racking my brain and don't remember having words with you in the past. I believe you but since there is no memory, the event doesn't exist for me... all is good!"

John, it was not you I had words with in the past it was Dr. BBQ. And it's history. My wording was poor and not very clear in my forum post. My fault.
    As far as I know we have always been good in the past and I hope now as well.

Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    As in "It's springtime for Stikeman, and Chermoneee..." :woohoo:
  • stike
    Options
    first thing i thought of. hahaha
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    Wow... I work in a place with people who are petty and hateful and really no fun to work with. I like reading the posts here at EHF for the break from nastiness and the ulcer-causing atmosphere.

On the other hand, I read a some (not a lot) of comments from people who seem to be of a similar mindset: opinionated, petty, mean-spirited, needing the last-word, etc.......... So what?..... I also read a lot of posts from people who are excited and inquisitive about their new backyard pastime. People who love to show off what they have cooked, want to share their experiences and want to ask what to do if...

This is society, no? Some good, some not so good and some in between. Regarding Loney, who cares?... it's crap food but some like it, some even love it and some think it's enough humorous content enough perpetuate it into the spoof it has become here..... do people go to Hawaii and complain about Spam? Sure, but other seek it out as a comforting reassurance, or some other reasonable nonsense.

Everything changes. People must truly get bored or jaded reading and doing the same things all the time.

I personally don't want to see anyone leave. Even ol' what'shisname whom I've had my brisk conversations with. Never read much of anything from Tweev so I can't comment either way there.

What I would like to see is the 600-700 guests who just lurk and read this stuff to join up and participate as opposed to only the 20% of the 110-150 members who are active. Talk about brightening things up.

And yes, I find Loney, hitler, spam, snow, poop, Jim Carrey and people of Wal-mart funny... when done right. ;)

Have a great day everyone, I'm going to work now!!
  • stike
    Options
    i don't see how you can say you miss the much friendlier days in the past, and then half a breath later throw all the 'Loney people under the bus and tell them they are eating sh!t.

if that's being friendly, then i don't see this place getting any friendlier anytime soon.
  • icemncmth
    icemncmth Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Yep...we are old timers now aren't we!!

We have seen a lot of changes. I bought my egg for pizza and have been doing pizzas for a very long time on eggs. Now everyone is an expert!..

Carwash mike and I use to talk about how we were not the new shiny toy anymore. I do miss him and I miss talking about working on carwash equipment.

One thing about this list is I still learn a few things!
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    You're not going to draw me back into some kind of argument or dispute...let it go already..
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The Forum is not bad, it's the behind the scenes backstabbing that ruins friendships, hurting members and even their kids that is the true downside of this community.
  • stike
    Options
    i am not arguing. just pointing out an inconsistency.

i can express my opinion too. and so now YOU can be the one let it go.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Wow... I work in a place with people who are petty and hateful and really no fun to work with.

You're a State Senator??? :woohoo:
  • Boatman
    Boatman Posts: 854
    Options
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Boatman wrote:
    Yawn.
    Again.

Roger that!

PS. Please note this is more than one word/emoticon.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    I totally agree with you on that one!! Seems like the good years have passed and are now gone... :unsure:
    I used to enjoy very long hours of great discussion topics on here and met some great people but seems like allot of that is lacking and where did the help-fullness (without the sarcasm )of the forum end up?? That is why i will rarely post and only lurk once in a while!
    At least we still have some great ties we made on here and some even offers great sites to help us out! Cheers to you my friend for that one ;) I used you page many times as i started out and still go on it to refresh myself on some great recipes!

Mike
  • Slotmercenary
    Slotmercenary Posts: 1,071
    Options
    If you ALL don't stop I am gonna cry, I swear...

I though the "kinder gentler side" belonged to Sears.