Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have a Large - trying to decide Small vs. Medium

srq2625
srq2625 Posts: 262
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Background:
[ul]
[li]I have a large BGE and love it. I use it mostly for long smokes (ribs, standing rib roast, pulled pork, etc)
[li]SWMBO has allowed me to use some of this year's refund to purchase a smaller sibling for the large
[li]Pizza is only an option if I can find a decent gluten-free dough mix
[li]I'm thinking I will be using the smaller (new) egg mostly for grillimg
[li]We are empty-nesters (finally :lol: ) so don't really need much in the way of grilling acreage[/ul]
I'm trying to decide between getting a small and a medium (not much interested, at this juncture, in a mini - but that could change :) ). I talked with my dealer and they JUST got in a big order of BGE and there's not a small in the lot. So, if I went with a small, I would end up paying shipping (because they don't see themselves making another BGE order anytime soon) - making the price difference between the med and small about $30.

So, the question the DW put to me (and this posting is ALL her fault) is what are the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other (aside from the obvious - size). For example:
[ol]
[li]Are accessories, both BGE and after-market, more readily available for one more-so than for the other?
[li]I know the mini is supposed to come up to temperature very quickly. Is there much of a difference in the amount of time it takes to get a small up to temp (say 400°F) than it does for a medium?
[li]Assume, for the sake of argument, that I don't want to use my large for a low-n-slow cook but would rather use the new one. Because of the difference in size of the firebox, will either/both keep a 250°F fire (at the dome of course) going for the 12 to 17 hours I might need?[/ol]

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I would go with 2 large. All the eggcessories will interchange...
  • Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    I'd go Small,.... then you'll want to add a Mini. ;) Never in a million years thought I'd use anything but my Large. Now I use them all and find distictly different uses for them all.

Mike
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    I would go Small...as empty nesters we use the small 2-1 over the large...we use the mini a lot also..love the small and mini for camping, eggfests & tailgating... :):lol:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    of all my eggs my small is my favorite and gets 60% or more of my biz - and it's just 2 of us also. It's portable if there are any travel plans in your future. It's a lump miser, but it also is a killer steak machine!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    I would vote Small as well but for only $30.00 between the two I might be temped to go Medium. Medium is the only one I don't have.

As far as:

"3.Assume, for the sake of argument, that I don't want to use my large for a low-n-slow cook but would rather use the new one. Because of the difference in size of the firebox, will either/both keep a 250°F fire (at the dome of course) going for the 12 to 17 hours I might need?"

A low and slow for 12-17 hours would normally be a big hunk of meat better suited for your large. No real reason to jam it into a Small Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    But on the other hand...I only make small 4-5 lb. pork butts, and always cook them on the Small with my antediluvian Guru to hold the temperate to 250°, with never a problem.

And it takes correspondingly less time to cook! Can eat it the same day.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Photo Egg
    Hi Judy,
    I did use the term "normally". Never said could not be done. Have seen things jammed into a Mini that I would never try. If I needed 12-17 hours for a cook the small would not be my go to cooker. Get 17 hours out of your Small? I have never pushed my small past about 8 or 9 hours on one batch of lump.
    I'm sure you would fall into the exception class for cooking smaller chunks low and slow and not a norm.
    I think we just have bigger butts in Texas than you have in CA.LOL
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    I have small and large, never even considered a medium. For only $30 more, it may have been tempting, but the main reason I got the small was to conserve fuel for every day cooks, i.e. 1 chicken, 2 chops or steaks, etc. My bet is that if you get the medium, you will at some point still want a small or mini. Personally, I realized a long time ago that there is a big difference between justification and rationalization, and I am at peace with that. How else could I have 3 Corvettes in the garage as "investments"!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I think it is time to check out another dealer.
    I use my mini most, small second, and large third.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I've got one of each size and find the Small BGE a great tool for everyday use. With a fully packed fire box, I can get a 10-12 hr. burn at 225-250 and that is about it.

The Medium acts more like a Large in terms of burn characteristics and air flow. The learning curve (if any) will be easy between a Lg & Med. The Medium is really to heavy to be portable. The Small shines if you need full featured portability.

The Mini BGE is a cool grill, and fun to use, but it does NOT have a plate setter option and that really limits its usefulness.

Conclusion? Go Small and don't look back.

Chicken on a Small BGE:
    5472323095_96426b3f0a_m.jpg
  • Slick: Sorry for replying to your answer...my bad. I meat to keep my comment in the original thread. Great comments by the way.
  • Photo Egg
    Good point, shop around if you are lucky enough to have more than one dealer in your area.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    I did - went to the Mothership web-site and increased the search radius. Found one place that will be willing to order the small and NOT charge me the shipping. Guess where I'll go should the DW and I decide on a small (and that's the way we are leaning at this point - thanks to all the responses).
  • Here is a Pic of my Mini BGE - Chicken Thighs.

5493038020_1123ebc37f_m.jpg

Bicuits on my Small BGE:

5492443141_604cbdeb04_m.jpg

I'd definitely go Small on this one.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    I bought a Medium to go with my Large and love the combo! However, I have a family of four. Being empty nesters the Small might make more sense.

When you are just grilling for two you will appreciate the Small. The times you might want the Medium is doing a pizzas for a large group (I like having good sized pizzas going simultaneously) or when you are doing ribs for a big group. That is actually the one time I wish I had two Larges.

If portability is an issue, definitely go Small. Otherwise, if the price is really not much different I would lean toward the Medium just because it is better to be too big than too small. The only downside is using more lump and a little longer to get to temp. However, my Medium seems to be great in both areas - of course, I am comparing it to my Large.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Having all sizes from large to mini with the difference being $30 it is a no brainier.

Nevertheless, IMHO, I would get the small or another large.

For grilling you can't beat the mini. It is a great egg and I use it much, much more than the small. I can cook for my wife and I plus about 2 grand kids on the mini. Much more than that I go to the large.

Most accessories are available for the large.

If you are going to get a medium I would get another large.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

If the only reason is to conserve lump put in smaller levels of lump in the large.

Lump loaded below the holes in the fire ring, all small pieces of previously burned lump. As I recall I had about 3 to 4 hours of 350° burn.

smalllumptst4.jpg

However, getting a hot fire is no problem with this little amount of lump.

smalllumptst3.jpg

smalllumptst1.jpg

GG
  • Grandpas Grub

My mini is used the most, then the large. After 2 or so years now my small has only been fired 4 or 5 times.

I use the medium if I need to cook large amounts of food and when I need more grid space. I would rather have 2 larges.

Kent
  • Bulldog Mom
    Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
    I have a large and as yourself found in your same position of what my next purchase should be. After much consideration I purchased a medium. Then after six months I realized that it was still a bit t large "sorry for the pun". I recently purchased a mini and that has seemed to fix my problem. Point being if i had bought a small I never would need a mini. But still lave them all.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    We are also empty nesters. I bought the large 5 years ago bought a small a year ago and love them both.
    The large I use for primarily low, slow cooks or family/friend cooks outs when real estate is needed. The small is for everyday use.
    I find the two are very much alike cooking wise, but also different.
    I don't think you can't go wrong with the small.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Kint in that third picture; that is one clean egg :laugh:
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    I agree whole heartedly. At the end of the day a 2nd large is just as economical, if not more, because you will not re-buy all your eggcessories. It is not a cost you think of when buying the 2nd egg, but those things ad up to $$$ quick!

Just something to think about!
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    i don't mind being in the minority here. I have the large-med-mini combo. the medium doesn't get any love on this forum fo sho.

the medium is so versatile. i've unloaded it and taken it to a couple of competitions and it's no sweat to transport. the firebox is muuuuch smaller than the large and it can rip and roar with only a couple handfuls of lump. i use is mostly for high temp cooks these days but smoked a butt and 20 chicken thighs on it last weekend. it was my first egg and i'll always be loyal to my first love. here are a couple pics of medium cooks:

pizza that was just ok but that's the cook's fault
    012.jpg

ribs that were much better
    ribs2.jpg

obligatory pork butt pic
    IMG00011-20090904-2113.jpg

13 lb packer brisket (this one was good)
    BBQ027.jpg
  • Judy Mayberry
    Darien:

LOTS of big butts in Caliornia! And no, I've never cooked a butt for more than 8-9 hours. Not even one from a pig.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Graham:

I noticed in your last picture the wooden slats of your nest are all stained. That was me last year, so i took a cue from someone on the forum and refinished them with sanding and Helmsman urethane spray. It was unbelievably fast and they sure do look nice.
    Judy in San Diego
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    yeah i know they're nasty! and that pic was two years ago! just think about how gross they are now. i keep going back and forth between cleaning them up and just leaving them as is. i have aspirations to put them in a table but those can get 'spensive!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    srq2625,

I haven't read any of the other responses but the absolute best thing you can do is get another large. All you accessories will work and you can do hot and low at the same time.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Not nasty...just well seasoned! Looks like those critters get a lot of use.
  • Judy Mayberry
    I tell you, it only took minutes to sand, clean, and spray. Then over the next couple of days I lightly sanded the urethane and sprayed repeated coats till I used up the can. Minutes each time.
    Judy in San Diego
  • bellw
    bellw Posts: 26
    I've seen an accessory (I'm not sure what it's calle) but it reduces the area needed to burn the lump in a larger egg. This really makes sense to me (I have an XL and many times cook for 2).