Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

John Henry Sugar Maple Rub...

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Holy crap is this stuff spicy!

I fired up the large last night to trex up some NY strippers and planned to cook some chicken breasts during the steaks' rest period.

I had mostly small pieces of lump in there that I will transfer from the large during the cleaning. So needless to say I could not get the damn thing over 300. SO after various attempts and many beers, I gave up and threw the chicken breasts on the small at 300 and fired up the large for the steaks.

I did not care when the chicken got done because it was for salads throughout the week. While cooking the chicken I threw some pistachio shells on the coals and got a nice little smoke. I will try it again next time and do it right.

Well needless to say the steaks were great and the chicken finally got done and was good. BUT holy crap did it have a kick :woohoo:
I did put a decent amount on so I guess that could be why, but when I had it before I do not remember it being that spicy. Good but man was I burning. Luckily I had more beers handy to cool it down :evil:

Sorry no pics (I guess it didn't happen right) but I was drinking, reading, and listening to mp3 player/phone/camera.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That is a great rub.
    Nice tip on the shells.
    Love pistachios so could always have shells.
    I have done pecan but pistachio never crossed my mind.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have been thinking about trying some John Henry rub. I think I know where to get it. I have had small lump like what you are describing in my large egg and like you it seemed difficult for my egg to reach higher temps until I used my wiggle rod and injected or forced air into the bottom. Now then! :woohoo:

Well today is hump day so, the rest is down hill. Have a good one. Timbo! ;)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi EL Dirty

I once had a jar of it but it was way to hot for my tastes. I sent it back to where I thought it came from. :evil:

The maple flavor was good, just to much heat.

Blair

• GreenLeafBBQ
    Options
    I talked with John Henry last week and discussed rubs. He said that his Maple Rub was originally designed for Salmon! Who knew! We like it on Chicken too.

Those old ash pieces never work that great do they...I mix them together with fresh lump so they don't get wasted.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    By the name, I would not expect it to be so fiery. Not for my palate, so thanks for the tip..
  • smokeystover
    Options
    TheDirtyBurger wrote:
    after various attempts and many beers
    Luckily I had more beers handy to cool it down :evil:

As long as you don't run out of that secret ingredient, you should be able to handle anything! ;)
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Just goes to show...one man's poison is another's nectar! Of course, I'm the moron who puts habanero salsa on his breakfast taco every morning! :woohoo: