Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Weekend Cooks

Options
Goody
Goody Posts: 102
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok so this weekend I had an opportunity to have a buddy over Saturday evening so we did some Egging. Did some baby back ribs Car Wash Mike Style. Turned out great, sorry no pics. Each time I do them they get better. Also for that meal I decided to break out my Lodge dutch oven cooking table I got for Christmas for the first time. Did a pineapple upside down cake in my 12" dutch oven while the ribs cooked. Here are the picks.

DSC_0087_2.jpg

DSC_0088_2.jpg

DSC_0089_2.jpg

Turned out well, but could have stood to be on a little longer. Was a little soft on top, but it was nice, moist and tasty. Served it with some vanilla ice cream.

Sunday decided to use the DP Raging River Salmon recipe on some pork chops. turned out great! Served with some caesar salad and million dollars beans my buddies wife makes. They were left over from Saturday. I actually think they are better the next day! Here are the pics.

DSC_0090_2.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

Comments

• RU Eggsperienced
    Options
  • Pork N Stein
    Options
    That cooking table is interesting, have never used one. Do you find you use it a lot?
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Never seen the table before. Is that the way you do you DO cooks?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Helluva Engineer
    Options
    Looks great, I echo the comments above. That table is very interesting.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    That all looks great. How did you like the Lodge table?
    Randy
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    food looks great.

That table is off the hook. how well does it maintain the heat? how does it work? DO on or by the coals?

very cool.
    context is important :)
  • rooster
    rooster Posts: 252
    Options
    need the bean recipe,thanks
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Buddy of mine used to do a lot of Scouting and picked up that technique there. He cooked many a cake in a DO over an open fire, no charcoal. Get a nice bed of coals, pour the batter into the DO, set it on the coals, add the lid and then more coals on top. Every time we went camping, he did the dessert honors. The kids loved it... Wow! cake on a campfire!!! Good eats!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Goody
    Options
    Just got it for Christmas and this was the 1st time I broke it out. Plan to use it a lot though.
  • Goody
    Options
    I guess I realized I should clarify after reading the question and Carolina Q's answer. The picture I took and you see here is just the coals lit and getting ready. The DO in that picture is empty at that point. Once the coals were hot and ready to cook on I put layer the cake in the DO then laid out a bed of 10 - 12 briquettes, set the DO on top of them, placed the lid on and then laid another 14 - 16 briquettes on the lid once closed. The cake was on for about 50 minutes. Every so often you rotate the DO 90 degree clockwise and the lid 90 degrees counter-clockwise to help with even cooking in case there is a hot spot.

Once you have the coals laid in a bed on the bottom and and spread on the lid, it will keep the DO plenty warm. As long as you are not doing cooks much more than an hour, you don't have to worry about replenishing the coals.

Even though this is called a campsite DO table, I got it to use at home on he deck to cook with when the egg is occupied with other stuff, like the ribs this weekend. When using the DO camping, I just lay the coals on the ground and do it that way. If you interested in DO cooking here is a link for a webpage that has a lot of great info. There a recipes as well that can be converted to DO cooking on the egg.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/
  • Goody
    Options
    I will try to get the bean recipe from my buddy's wife. My wife may actually have it but I don't recall. It is really good. They are better than any baked beans I have ever had.
  • Goody
    Options
    Yes, that is a vivid memory of mine doing scouts growing up. Once father was proficient in DO cooking and did a cake recipe like this and it was the food highlight of the weekend. The memory of that is what made me want to get into DO cooking when I had the opportunity. Some awesome stuff we do in it on our yearly guys camping weekend. It is coming up soon for us and I was actually doing this as a trial run.

Good eats can be had, even when roughing it a little. ;)
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    congrats!!!
    great looking meals!!!
  • Goody
    Options
    Ok, here is the Million Dollar Bean Recipe.

Million Dollar Bean

1/4 lb bacon, chopped
    2 onions, chopped
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1 can each of lima, great northern, and red kidney beans drained
    1 (28 oz) can bush's baked beans

Saute bacon and onion.
    Add remaining ingredients to pan.
    Gently simmer with lid on for 20 minutes.
    Bake at 350, covered for an hour.

Hope you enjoy.
  • Prime
    Prime Posts: 52
    Options
    My mom always made beans similar to those (might even be the same). She called them Calico Beans though. They are the best!