Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can you slow cook boneless/skinless chicken...

Options
Eggsellent
Eggsellent Posts: 160
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can you slow cook boneless/skinless chicken without it drying out? [p]Or, can you make blackened chicken on the egg?[p]Need a new recipe - can you tell?

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    sure you can. . .first, pound them a bit, so that they are even thickness (keeps them from drying out). ..either marinade them (balsamic or regular italian dressing) for a little while. ..then fire them on the grill direct at around 350 dome temp for about 5 - 8 minutes per side till done. ...then eat em. ..easy quick and as long as you don't over cook them, they will be plenty moist inside. . .and good for you too!! . . .[p]or simply rub them with your favorite rub (witchy red or tsunami spin) and so the same thing. ..[p]but i think something like wishbones hearty italian is great for these as the dressing really adheres to the meat and probably adds a little more moistness to them. ..

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    Yep. I've done both of these but I've discovered that I'm not too fond of blackened chicken. [p]For the slow smoking, I personally go indirect at a temp. of 250-275 or so. I flip only once. I don't tend to use any added wood chunks. I just make sure I start with a completely fresh load of lump. That's enough for me. B/S thighs are easier to keep from drying out. Watch the breasts a little closer. [p]As for the blackened chicken, I bought a fajita pan from Lodge and placed it directly on the lower grid. Seasoned my chicken, added a bit of oil and butter to the pan and seared the chicken from there. [p]Happy cookin'[p]Mac

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    slow cook chicken breast?.....yes but not advised. You slowly evaporate all moisture from the meat and end up with jerkey. The ideal way for chicken breast is to cook them at about 500 degrees in order to seal the pores and stop the moisture from evaporating. [p]Blackening chicken breasts?.......yes, again your using high heat and the added butter helps to keep the moisture in. In most cases whether you are blackening steaks, chicken, burger patties, etc... the end result is building a blanket of seasonings and butter/oil to help keep the moisture in. HTH

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    dont have my recipes here, but a tandoori marinated skinless spatchcock is good, so i think it would work on boneless breasts, just dont over cook

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • heres the link

[ul][li]blackened steaks[/ul]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    I have cooked this recipe using boneless/skinless chicken breast at 4 or 5 eggtoberfest and it seems to be well liked.
    Larry

[ul][li]Shrimp Stuffed Chicken Breast[/ul]
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    An easy way to counteract the drying process during cooking for skinless chicken pieces is a 1 hour brine. There are many "flavor brine" recipes, but a good one to start with is: 1 quart water, 1/4 cup Kosher Salt, 2 tablespoons sugar, ice. Heat the water enough to dissolve the salt & sugar then cool with some ice. Brine chicken pieces for 1 hour in the fridge. I do this quick brine for pork chops also.

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery