Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Belly Bacon cure and smoke and package (pic heavy)

2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This post includes part of a previous post from the start to the finish. Thanks for looking. :)

We purchased a pork belly a couple weeks ago. It weighed almost 10 pounds. Cost was almost $17.00

000_2546.jpg

000_2547.jpg

000_2548.jpg

000_2549.jpg

I cut it in half and started curing one with Hi Mountain Buck board Bacon Cure. I put it in a food saver bag and sealed it up making sure not to draw very much vacuum.

The other half got a tender quick cure in place of the pink salt and kosher salt from Michael Ruhlmans recipe for bacon.

Mix the following together in a small bowl:
(Keep in mind this is for 5 pounds of bacon)

2 ounces (1/4 cup Morton or Diamond Crystal coarse kosher) salt

2 teaspoons pink curing salt #1 (I use this DQ Cure from Butcher-Packer, $2)

Substitute the above with:

5 tablespoons of tender quick

plus

4 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper

4 bay leaves, crumbled (left out)

1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (substitute with 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg)

1/4 cup brown sugar or honey or maple syrup (used the dark brown sugar)

5 cloves of garlic, smashed with the flat side of a chef’s knife (substitute with 2 1/2 minced garlic in a jar)

2 tablespoons juniper berries, lightly crushed (optional)(left out)

5 to 10 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)(substitute 1/4 tsp chopped thyme)

Here is the actual write up by Michael Ruhlman

http://ruhlman.com/2010/10/home-cured-bacon-2.html

Here is the other half with Michael Ruhlman recipe changed a little.

000_2550.jpg

Here they are getting happy in food saver bags in my fridge in the garage.

000_2551.jpg

After seven (7) days I took them out of the fridge and rinsed them off and put them into a pan to soak a few hours.

Here is the belly with the Hi Mountain cure

Note you should use a non reactive container to soak out the bacon.

000_2566.jpg

Here is the belly with the Tender Quick cure with additional stuff added.

000_2562.jpg

000_2564.jpg

After a six (6) hour soak I removed them from the water and dried them off and set them back in the fridge. After about 16 hours equalizing I set the egg up with the AR for a direct 180F smoke with hickory wood.

000_2567.jpg

I used the CyberQ II to control the egg at 180F dome and placed the food probe in the lower Tender Quick belly set for 150F IT. I double checked in several places when I pulled the Tender Quick belly off.

000_2568.jpg

After the Tender Quick belly cooled off I sliced some strips off of it and fried them up in the skillet. Then we had a bacon sandwich for supper with home made potato salad and tomatoes. We just loved the tender Quick bacon. I'm sure when we get around to eating the Hi Mountian we will love it just as much.

000_2569.jpg

000_2570.jpg

000_2571.jpg

After the other belly reached 150F about 4 hours I double checked with the thermapen and pulled it out of the egg to cool off.

000_2572.jpg

After it cooled off I placed it in the freezer to ferm up. Then I went to my new butcher friend Roy and he sliced it for me. Then I took it home to quickly package up.

Here is the Hi Mountain bacon all sliced up.

000_2574.jpg

Here is what is left of the Tender Quick bacon sliced up.

000_2575.jpg

Here it is all packaged up in FoodSaver bags. I made 9 packs of 6 slices of the 5 pounds of Hi Mountain. and what was left of the Tender Quick bacon made 2 packs of 6 slices.

000_2576.jpg

Comments

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Ahh bacon sandwiches! That looks great! Never got around to my buckboard this winter....maybe I should get a move on that one.
  • 2Fategghead
    This the season Stacy. :) Get wiff it. :laugh:
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Nice job Tim! Thanks for posting ;) I ordered the Morton salt book you posted about, it has been shipped but i have not received it yet.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    I know, I know.....OR you could just do it for me and send it on up here! :woohoo:
  • Chief Chef
    Chief Chef Posts: 199
    Tim - Great pics and even better looking bacon. I've been waiting to hear how the curing process and smoking went. The real test is in the taste and it sounds like it was a success. Well done.
  • 2Fategghead
    I could. I made 2 10 pound butts and I only have one small pack of BBB left. :( I need to get wiff it myself. :laugh:
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Great job Tim...it is great being master of your domain.... :P :lol: :silly:
  • 2Fategghead
    Hey Susan, I got mine a long time ago. I will tell you a story. I called and ordered the book. I had to pay $4.99 plus $2.50 handling.

The next day I had a question and called the Consumer Affairs number and they said they would send me a meat chart for free. I said good and thank you. I thought I am getting a book and now a chart.

Now to make a long story short I got a package in the mail and it was the book I ordered but, as it turned out it was the meat chart they said they would send me. The next day I got the book I ordered with the receipt. I got the same book two days in a row. I paid for one and got the other for free. I don't get it. :unsure: I suggest to you to call consumer affairs and tell them you have questions about the curing process. There is a different number to call for online orders.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/contact_us/index.html
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Very nice post Tim. I have been waiting to see the results.

I will be interested to hear how the Hi Mountain compares to the Morton method.

Kent
  • 2Fategghead
    Steve, The Tender Quick bacon came off first and after it cooled some I sliced some strips off it. I thought the bacon was a little salty at first but that may have been from the first few slices. I have to learn if I need to do a soak or not and for how long. Tender Quick was vague about this process but, Hi Mountain talked about soaking out the cured butt but was unclear about belly bacon. :unsure: I haven't tried the Hi Mountain bacon yet but I'm sure it will be good. :P
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Kim, I just love all this stuff. :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Kent. I have some of the other to eat first but, I will take out the Hi Mountain bacon this coming weekend. BTW I got my mail. Thank you. I need to send you $ or something. :unsure:
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Whew, that looks like work! I'm betting it was time well spent. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    It was time well spent. Very good I will do it again. ;) Thank You
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Tim, nice bacon post. :) I'll be interested in your comparison with the Hi Mountain cure.

Gotta love home cured bacon. Now if I could just round me up a good meat slicer.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Nope, I should have included it in the first place. We are square.

Kent
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    NICE!!! I am going to try my hand at this cook. i will probably need some of your help.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Tim, that looks great! Nice job and nice post :) I have a boneless butt curing in Hi-Mountain as we speak. It will be ready to smoke early next week :cheer:
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Rebecca, I will open up a pack of Hi Mountain belly bacon this weekend. Then I will do my comparison and post my finds. I should have waited but my sous chef has been to an oral surgeon so we are waiting for her tongue to heal.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    That turned out really nice. And it was good timing to try different recipes back to back. I'll be watching for a full report, and your review on both products.

One thing to keep in mind for any curing (or brining)step is to use non-reactive containers. Food safe plastic, glass or even stainless steel containers are all non-reactive. Things like those aluminum pans you did the soak out in are not, they can react to the salts... Now, when soaking, your solution was very dilute, and the time was short, so the pan did not react to the salts and there is nothing to worry about. It's just better to build good habits early.... kind of like all things I guess.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks BigA. The process is easy once you decide

What cure you will use

Will there be other spices or sugars...

How long to cure

What process after the cure

Like will there be a rinse

Will there be a soak out

How long will you equalize

Will you smoke the bacon and what process

Will you add rubs or syrup

Will you cold smoke

For how long

Will you hot smoke

To what temp

What flavor wood

Then you will take the bacon out of the egg and let it cool and make plans to slice by firming up in a freezer before using a slicer.

Then how will you package the bacon. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Capt. Frank. You will love it. I had mine sliced and some of it got sliced with the grain of the meat even still it was great. :P
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Wayne. :ermm: You got me on the aluminum pan. At the time I thought I had two plastic pans but, no. :blush: I'll get back here for a full report when I try some from the Hi Mountain batch.

Thanks for everything. The mail went out Monday. :)
  • Looking good Tim, great deal on that meat, mine runs close to 3 a pound. I still recommend cold smoking it next time, but I would not change anything else you did.

Doug
  • 2Fategghead
    Thanks Doug. I will try the cold smoke method next time. I ordered a full shoulder and I hope to get it this Friday. I plan to make it all shreaded for future eats. :P

Sometime I want to make city ham from a picnic. :P
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Tim, You really did a great job on not only the bacon, but on the presentation of the process. It looks awesome! You are one great egger, dude!
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    VERY nice job and post Tim.That is on my list as soon as I get moved and settled in. :) It ALL looks WONDERFUL!
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Look real good there buddy. Now thats what I call GOOD EATS ;)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nice job Tim. How'd you like the hickory on that?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE