Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Final Report: 100 Day Dry-Aged Rib Eye (LOOONG)

Options

Comments

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    stike wrote:
    thanks deepsouth...
    kinda pushin it though. not sure 100 days is where it's at. but good to have done it and know, at least.

i've still got to get my head around wet and dry aging and try to do it for myself.
  • FrankC
    FrankC Posts: 416
    Options
    Thanks for the excellent write up...it's very much appreciated. And feel free to keep it up, too. You are the one that got me dry aging in the first place. Now when I'm done butchering and freezing a sub primal, my wife asks, "so what are you gonna do with the empty spot in the fridge"!

Thanks again,
    fc
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    simplest explanation i can offer....
    wet aging is buying a steak (or roast or primal) and leaving it in the package (cryo is best) until you have forgotten about it and are wondering whether you should throw it out because it is tinged brown and weeks old (answer: no. cook it. it's damn good)

dry aging is taking the meat out of the package and forgetting about it in the fridge until it has shrunken a bit, turned dark brown, and gotten hard, to the point where you wonder if you should throw it out (answer: no. cook it. even better than wet aged):laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    Thanks for the excellent write up...it's very much appreciated. And feel free to keep it up, too. You are the one that got me dry aging in the first place. Now when I'm done butchering and freezing a sub primal, my wife asks, "so what are you gonna do with the empty spot in the fridge"!

Thanks again,
    fc
    thanks frank.
    i only started doing it because the stuff i was buying was expensive ($20 a pound). there were a few write-ups on the web, but all seemed a copy of one post, and involved towels and methods that have nothing to do with real dry aging, and can cause bacterial problems, keep the meat wet, etc.

i am glad you got something out of the write ups. they seemed to happen a couple times a month and i was afraid i was beating the drum too much.

it's perhaps the easiest thing you can do to improve the meat.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    You wouldn't dudat

I went comando for 28 days once and we liked it :)

Besides - a bus drivers butt crack might not be that bad if it is aged properly :unsure:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Great post Jeff. I never knew about aging beef or any other meat until I got my egg and joined this forum. Now you have a wealth of information. I'll read all the responses before I ask you a question. Thanks for posting. ;)
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Stike,
    Would like to see what your method is in dry aging! Looks great; but you the man for many years!
    My first post in four years!
  • stike
    Options
    Aging has really taken off the past year or two
  • Austin Smoker
    Options
    Very, very, very sexy pics. My wife walked in on my whilst I was viewing them and I slammed the laptop shut for fear of being caught!! :whistle::whistle:
  • berrygood
    Options
    E P I C. I've done two 30+ day ribeye primals with good results. Now, since you're still among the living, I'm inspired to go for more. BTW, do I have to cover with the cling wrap? If so, just loosely?
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    Great stuff, Stike. Always enjoy your posts. Quick question, though: I had posed a question a while back on another forum about whether or not briskets could be dry aged and while a few people said they had wet-aged them in the past, the consensus was that if you were going to smoke that brisket afterwards it would be a waste, that the smoke flavor would dominate any 'concentrated beef' flavor. (I personally have only had a 21 day dry aged steak at a local restaurant and truly couldn't tell any difference in tenderness or taste.)

I noticed you hit your roast with some oak smoke and was wondering if you felt that masked any concentrated flavor (or did I get some misguided info from the other guys?) I understand a brisket takes longer to cook than your roast from this weekend and would take on more smoke flavor, but I guess the vibe that I took away was that you wouldn't want to add anything that would mess with that concentrated flavor.
  • stike
    Options
    No wrap at all. I only covered the exposed flesh after I cut into it. Otherwise I'd end up with another dried end cap in a week or so. This worked fine for a couple weeks with no visible change at all. Meat was still red for a couple weeks. My plastic wrap covered that cut end from 60 to 100 days though, and eventually got a little browner than i think you want cosmetically. I rubbed the entire surface of the cut end with oil and that allowed the plastic to stick

The idea behind that was that if you went only a week or two between lopping off steaks, the plastic wrap would preserve the cut end and keep it from overdrying

But the primal itself is never wrapped in plastic wrap.
  • stike
    Options
    Well. Beef is beef and smoke is smoke

If those guys told you one covered the other, I wonder why they think the smoke doesn't do it when the brisket is NOT aged? They sound like they're just guessing :laugh:

I do know of a guy who dry ages his brisket. I am pretty sure that the beefier flavor is Stronger than unaged, so have a hard time understanding how it would be masked

At any rate. Trying it would answer the question. Maybe the guy here who I think ages his brisket will chime in. I don't wanna name him, in case it is a secret in his arsenal ;)
  • Vincent Chase
    Options
    Thanks for your insight. Like I mentioned, my one experience with dry aged beef was from a local restaurant who did the aging on site. While I admit the restaurant is a 'big fish in a small pond' in terms of the caliber of restaurants around, the owner and head chef is CIA trained and I figured he'd have an idea as to how to dry age correctly. None of us at the table could discern any difference in the least which left me thinking that perhaps the dry aging results in a very subtle taste that only refined palates and steak connoisseurs could pick up on, which then made me think of my brisket post, and in which case, I could see the smokiness burying that subtle flavor. But it's possible the kitchen sent out a regular steak instead of a dry aged and my basis for the points above are incorrect. Like you mentioned, though, it sounds like a good opportunity to experiment like you did and find out firsthand!

Great work again, and thanks for you input.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    Holy crap that looks amazing! Speechless, absolutely incredible.
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    I stand up
    and
    CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!!!

Standing ovation my friend!!!

Great post
  • stike
    Options
    thanks hammer. method is nothing more than a primal at very cold fridge temps (say 34-36). i put it up on a baking/cooling rack over a cookie sheet. there's no real dripping at all. maybe a drop or two the first day. no towels over it, nothing to get wet or wick the water from it. just surrounded by air.

45-60 days is i think the sweet spot. my 100 days might not have done much more than 60 days already achieved.
  • stike
    Options
    some of it is a little brown... :ermm: hahaha
  • stike
    Options
    thank you sir. you are consistently, easily, our most enthusiastic forum member!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Now that's funny! =))

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    looks awesome. Nice job.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options

That sounds great.  How'd it taste?

:D:D:D:D

Well done
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

You really had to go dig and raise HIM, did you not?
    =))

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• wibrewer
    wibrewer Posts: 24
    Options

I see what you did there.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Stike is gone?  I hadn't noticed.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    Stike is gone?  I hadn't noticed.

He bought a pink Vespa. [-X

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Aviator said:

You really had to go dig and raise HIM, did you not?
    =))
    I just searched "Bresaola" and only took a few seconds.... ;)
    Options
    you're gonna run Fred off
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fred lives in Flint - he's got a bullet proof firewall.