Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm good at being a copycat!

Options
Judy Mayberry
Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First, copying bobinaz's cart for my Mini.

Second for cooking Carolina Q's brussel sprouts, mushrooms and garlic in a skillet on the Egg.I cut them in half so they'd cook faster.
DSC01567.jpg

I added Auricchio provolone from my teeny supply and it was great!
DSC01568.jpg

I got a 1" ribeye and instead of waiting to raise the Mini to a searing temperature, I threw the steak right on the coals, flipped it and THEN roasted it at 400° with the lid down till it was 125° in the thickest part.
DSC01569.jpg

It made a nice dinner to eat during the Oscars.
DSC01574.jpg

Call it sharing--not stealing--ideas!
Judy in San Diego

Comments

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    Brussel sprouts = how to ruin a good steak :(
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Judy, if I didn't copy cat what I see on this forum I would be missing out on some great food. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't care what Rich says, the brussel sprouts with mushrooms look delicious......even if the recipe came from Carolina Q . :woohoo:
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Rebecca:

I think he made it on the Large, so he can't file it under F for fireplace food. Even on the Mini, I had to use a 10" CI skillet and there was enough room around the edge for airflow.

This is the third thing I've made on it, I think, next I'm going to find a chicken recipe to copy. Or better yet, I'll try RRP's wings!

I feel like a first-grader here with this new cooker.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Rich:

You sound like a grumpy old man. Did your mommy make you clean your plate?

I swear these don't taste like steamed/boiled brussel sprouts at all!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    eenie meenie wrote:
    ......even if the recipe came from Carolina Q . :woohoo:

I owe you one, Sweetheart! :P

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    Interesting, How did you get the ash and charcoal off of the steak??
  • eenie meenie
    Options
    Michael, I was afraid of that.......I was just hoping you were at work and not wiling away your time on the forum. Strategic error on my part. :pinch:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This chicken is very good.
    I like Butt Rub and the last 20 mins do Bone Sucking Sauce or good w/o the BSS.
    photo-9-1.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Options
    took the day off. hangin' around the poolhouse with a good lookin' blonde. :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Judy, LOVE the caveman steak!! sprouts look good too (though they are certainly not mine). :) Next time, I will halve, or maybe quarter them.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    "Did your mommy make you clean your plate? " Yes and that is why I am not fond of Brussel sprouts, I guess. ;)
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    surprisingly little sticks. and what does, just knock it off with tongs or something.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I don't care where you got the idea,YOU had to cook it.All I can say is you did an OUTSTANDING job.It all looks GREAT! :)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    What Michael says. No ash sticks, and I pull off any lump--always a large piece--with the tongs.

I have to say the taste of incinerated steak and lamb chop fat has been right up there with cream/whipped cream my entire life, since my memories began. Yep, the two most personal and dearest tastes.
    Judy in San Diego
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I think you pushed me over the edge to cook a steak directly on the coals. That looked great.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    don't forget the brussels sprouts! :) seriously.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Judy, I just did a turkey breast (s&p and herbes do provence) and some sprouts (just garlic, evoo and s&p, no shrooms). Excellent!!! Healthy even!! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Judy Mayberry
    Options
    I hope you are real proud of yourself. I know I'M really proud of you!

I'm doctoring up a can of lentil soup tonight. I had a molar extracted last week and it's really slo-o-o-o-ow healing. Testing my mettle. Whatever mettle is.
    Judy in San Diego
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    Morro Bay Rich wrote:
    Brussel sprouts = how to ruin a good steak :(

LMAO!

I happen to love the sprouts... the meal looks really good.
    context is important :)
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Hi Judy, Your cooks look fantastic! The sprouts and steak look out of this world. Auricchio provolone! you drive me mad when you talk Italian! LOL,Just kidding, it sounds wonderful! I would say thanks for sharing but mine hasn't arrived yet. :lol:

Blair

• Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    very very very nice indeed!!!
    congrats...
    I am still afraid of those broussel sprouts but with your cooks the fear is going away!!!
    thanks for sharing