Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fajitas

Options
jake42
jake42 Posts: 932
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
fajitas.jpg
<p />While the Egg was sleeping.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    jake42:[p]Something for you to try in the future: Grill your whole, seasoned fajita meat direct on the grill, cut the meat across the grain, and serve. I think you will find it to be tastier. There are a few cuts that are marketed as fajita cuts depending on your source and location, but I find skirt steak to be the most flavorful if it is available and reasonably priced.[p]
    fajitas01.jpg[p]fajitas02.jpg[p]fajitas3.jpg

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    djm5x9,
    yo, Darryl - that set of pixs made me drool - is there another name for skirt steak? I don't remember ever seeing that in the meat case.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sandbagger
    Options
    jake42, Now that's what I am looking for. How did you do it, details man. LOL TV

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    Yo Darryl,
    Would you tell us your marinade and/or rub and any other fajita thing we should know.
    Thanks
    Dan

• djm5x9
    Options
    Ron:[p]I occasionally see skirt steak (but not after I pass by the meat case) and more often meat labeled as fajita meat. It appears to be hand cut thinly from top or bottom round from best as I can tell. Good, but not like skirt steak.[p]Pictured is "fajita meat" from an unknown cut . . .[p]
    fajitas1.jpg[p]fajitas2.jpg

• djm5x9
    Options
    Dan:[p]I season the meat generously with fajita seasoning (I like Obie-Que's), sprinkle the meat with a lot of fresh lime juice, and roll or stack to absorb the seasoning while the grid gets hot. The meat is then grilled direct at 450º or so with one turn.[p]I personally like this meat cooked medium to medium rare in the thicker center of skirt steak. This allows for some tasty cooked thinner pieces as well.[p]Remember to thin slice at a 45º angle to the grain for easy eating.[p]
    fajitas02.jpg

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    djm5x9,
    My God, that meat was scary ugly before it went on the egg. Yet another miracle of Egg Cookery.

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Sandbagger,
    I cut up boneless skinless chicken thighs because I like them better than breast meat. Marinated for about an hour. Got the old kettle grill good and hot. Sliced up vegetables seasoned with olive oil and Dizzy Dust. Sprayed my grill basket. Cooked the chix meat then tossed vegetables in with it. Simple. Comes out great every time.[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    jake42,
    i'm just trying to figure out why you are using the webber for that instead of your egg?? the wok will fit in the egg just fine. .and those veggies and meat would certainly benefit from the ceramic moisture retention. .. .i haven't taken the cover off my webber in two years now. ..i'm sure its making a nice home for an entire herd of mice at this point.. .[p]btw, it does look good :)

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Options
    djm5x9,
    Skirt steak is great, it's recent popularity around here has boosted the price by more than $2.00/lb. Went to grab some sunday and it was pushing $5.00.

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    RRP,[p]I use flank steak. I think ts the same as "skirt". [p]Mac