Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip (again)

Options
AZ Geoff
AZ Geoff Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know there have been quite a few "tri tip posts" lately, but I am going to try one Saturday nite for about 10 guests. It is rather large - about 10 pounds.
Direct? Indirect? Platesetter or no Platesetter??
What is the best way to cook a tri tip of this size?? Pull at 125??
Many thanks!!!!![p]AZ Geoff

Comments

• AZ Geoff,
    Hate to rain on your parade, Geoff.[p]I have NEVER seen a Tri-Tip that was even anywhere near 10 pounds! And, I have seen literally thousands.
    I think you have something else.[p]Pete

• AZ Geoff,[p]Are you sure there are not 3 or 4 pieces in that bag?
  • AZ Geoff,[p]
    I did TT's this year for Christmas Dinner. I marinated 1 in a mixture of red wine, worcestershire, red wine vinegar, garlic, rosemary, and garlic. I also rubbed 2 down with Nature Boy's finest (Dizzy Pig Cowlick and Red Eye Express). I then get the fire cranking and sear them all. Put the placesetter on and brought the temp down to about 350-400 and cooked to about 130 internal and let rest for 10 min. Slice thin on the bias starting at the small corner and you are set. [p]Hope this helps,[p]BB

• AZ Geoff
    Options
    MH,
    Could be more than one!! My wife just said she thought there was about 10 pounds of meat!!!!!!

• AZ Geoff,[p]In that case, I would grill direct over medium heat and remove at 135f for a med rare middle section.