Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

home brew? any experience?

eggzlot
eggzlot Posts: 93
edited November -1 in Off Topic
anyone into home brewing? I am looking at Mr Beer or the Coopers home brew kits. I do not think I have the space/time/patience to go with an all grain set up, so these seem like an inexpensive way to dip my toe into the hobby.

My immediate thoughts are to go with Mr Beer because:

1) 2 gallon as opposed to 6 gallon - I am the only beer drinker in the house, so 2 gallons will last a while!

2) Mr Beer seems to offer more packets/styles of beer

Mr Beer is also basically half the price.

Anyone have any previous experience with either system?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i would go with the 6 gallon and get one with the carboy. you lose alot to sediment.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • any particular model or company you can recommend? If I get a 6 gallon, can I still make 2-3 gallon batches?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i would start with this book, the new joy of homebrewing, has simple recipes. the whole proceess can be simple without all the grains etc. basically boil up some malt extract, toss in some hops, let it chill then and add some yeast, basically a couple hours washing everything down and boiling, chilling, then its a week or two wait, then bottling an other hour or two. do a couple quick batches and if you want to progress to the harder stuff you have most of the equipment already, iwould start with the intermediate set but the beginner is fine too, the 2 gallon one i would pass on, you will be disapointed with it. the bigger set wont yeild 6 gallons of beer, you lose a lot to yeast sediment both in the bucket and in the bottle
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    2 gallons might make it through an easy Tuesday night at my house :woohoo:

(some people on this board who have had to misfortune to drink with me might actually believe that statement. I've been know to put back a few beers.)

I'm no help on your question - home brewing of one of those things I've always intended to do and have never gotten to. Dr Seuss brews his own beer, maybe he'll catch this thread and chime in.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Here's what I started with around a year ago..there are many forum members that also homebrew..
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/deluxe-beer-starter-kit.html
    I've added a thing or 2 since starting and have made 4 batches at around 5 gallons each, ends up around 2 cases per batch if you bottle....forum member "Deepsouth" was instrumental in my learning..and also do some reading at..homebrewtalk.com
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    eggzlot wrote:
    anyone into home brewing? I am looking at Mr Beer or the Coopers home brew kits. I do not think I have the space/time/patience to go with an all grain set up, so these seem like an inexpensive way to dip my toe into the hobby.

My immediate thoughts are to go with Mr Beer because:

1) 2 gallon as opposed to 6 gallon - I am the only beer drinker in the house, so 2 gallons will last a while!

2) Mr Beer seems to offer more packets/styles of beer

Mr Beer is also basically half the price.

Anyone have any previous experience with either system?

if you enjoy good beer and you have the time it takes to brew a batch, it is very very rewarding. making your own beer is a great feeling that one can only experience for themselves.

do you have the time and willingness to brew your own beer? are you willing to make the investment in time and money that it takes to make a beer from extract (not all grain, although all grain is cheaper, but with a higher start up cost)?

i don't recommend going either of the two routes you are considering, but i wouldn't discourage you not to brew if one of them was your choice.

if you want to brew a 5 gallon batch, i'd be more than glad to help you. it's probably best to at the very least read john t palmer's "how to brew" online. it's not the most updated version, but it's got everything you'd need to know right now. you can read a few pages and know what to expect.

check it out and let me know.

what's up wes???? thanks for the shout out. you actually taught yourself, we just talked about it. hahaha.

cheers to you.

edit: just reread the first post. if you don't think you have the time or patience, you may not want to do it. even with the smaller kits, you have to have some amount of patience.

what is your favorite beer now?
  • Thanks everyone for their replies.

I do have patience, I shouldn't have phrased it that way. If anything, space may be more of a limiting factor for me.

My favorite beers are usually crisp Wheat or some Amber Ale's. I also like Spring and Summer Ale's - must say the Blue Moon Spring Brew is delicious!

Let me get to reading John Palmer's online guide, but any more help/advice and links to potential start kits and those extract kits would be helpful.
  • deepsouth
    eggzlot wrote:
    Thanks everyone for their replies.

I do have patience, I shouldn't have phrased it that way. If anything, space may be more of a limiting factor for me.

My favorite beers are usually crisp Wheat or some Amber Ale's. I also like Spring and Summer Ale's - must say the Blue Moon Spring Brew is delicious!

Let me get to reading John Palmer's online guide, but any more help/advice and links to potential start kits and those extract kits would be helpful.

after you check out the palmer, let me know if you want to proceed.

cheers.
  • eggzlot
    eggzlot Posts: 93
    Jason - I checked out Palmer's guide. The guide makes it seem rather simple and logical.

I guess space would be my first concern, I am sure the live in girlfriend would want this not out in display in our living room :-)

So what sort of kits would you recommend, and what sort of space should I be seeking in our already cramped basement?
  • deepsouth
    eggzlot wrote:
    Jason - I checked out Palmer's guide. The guide makes it seem rather simple and logical.

I guess space would be my first concern, I am sure the live in girlfriend would want this not out in display in our living room :-)

So what sort of kits would you recommend, and what sort of space should I be seeking in our already cramped basement?

sorry, i've been off the radar a few days......

the kit that wessb linked to above is a very good one. with that and a brew kettle (and a couple cases of empty bottles), you'd be in business.

if you have a basement, you've won half the battle. space needed is limited to the amount of space the kit takes up plus a couple cases of bottles once you bottle your beer.

as far as kits go, i'd order one from wherever you order your equipment. if you aren't sure what style to get (i see they have a couple wheat kits on northern brewer), hit a beer store and buy a few singles (if possible) of different styles to try. if you like a roasty character, i'd probably try a porter.

i'll check the thread back tomorrow.