Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning BGE -Charcoal Dust

Options
field hand
field hand Posts: 420
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I'm prep'ing the egg for the next cook, I use a plastic garden tool to stir the charcoal to allow the ash, etc, to go through the grate. Doing this creates a big charcoal dust cloud. I'm sure breathing this stuff is not good for you, so I started wearing a simple nose/mouth mask to filter this stuff out. Just wondering if anyone else does this or has a better method for dealing with the dust. Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Barry
Marthasville, MO

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Stir a little slower. Never had a problem with it myself.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    field hand

I use a shop vac with a bag inside

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BigBadger
    Options
    I use a wiggle rod that I made to stir the leftover lump and ash. It gently knocks the ash off and does not appreciably bring up much dust. In fact I would say that if anything it's ash and not charcoal dust that you are breathing. I just hold my breath for the 10 seconds it takes if the dust gets obviously heavier.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    I am with Steven, I use an old shop vac for my cleaning chores. Stir the lump around a little, poke up through the fire grate with my wiggle rod, then stick the shop vac in through the lower vent, does a good job.
    I just have to remember to not have my face over the top of the vac when I switch it on, it vents out the top! :laugh: :lol::blush: :P
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    I do not ever see any dust when I stir the old lump.

I never pour in the lump from the bag, so I minimize how much dust goes in to begin with. I pour the lump into a bin and give it a good shake to get the fines to go to the bottom. When I first pull the top off, there is a lot of dust in the bin. I throw it out after 5-6 bags worth of fines have accumulated.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Ahhh, that's what my hygienist has been bitching about..
  • field hand
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. Maybe I'm over doing the "stir" process, don't know. After a cook of a few hours on my xl, I find a lot of gray ash through the remaining coals. I usually try to work the coals with the tool to get the ash to filter down through the grate holes. I have used a type of wiggle rod and it works at the grate level, but does shake up the coals at the higher levels enough to get the ash to fall through. The garden tool does the job at these levels. The earlier comment saying it's more likely I should have said "ash" instead of "dust" is probably true. After getting the ash to the bottom, I do use a vac to remove it. Just seems I create a lot of dust/ash in this process. And yes, I sure the hygienist would be quick to identify this "dark matter". Thanks again for the good comments.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • TnVolKen
    TnVolKen Posts: 198
    Options
    another vote for the shop vac
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    I use the ash tool from BGE for stirring and cleaning and I have never had that problem. I will get quite a bit of dust when dumping fresh into the egg, but it settles down pretty quickly.

What type of charcoal are you using? That may be a fact in the quantity of ash.
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com