Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

My Maiden Voyage

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello to all!

I finally was able to make my 1st cook on my Large after almost 4 weeks of anxious waiting, and wow, what a success! I've cooked on my friends' before, so I've had a little experience, but there's absolutely nothing like a first cook. Here is the sparkling clean, infant baby Large BGE:
sfiBF.jpg

I decided to go with ribeyes, a favorite of mine, but I decided to listen to all of you and go with hot-tubbing and the T-Rex method. I was a little worried about trying a new way of cooking on my first try, but I'll never doubt you guys again!

The specimens, 1.5" thick prime boneless Ribeyes:
urGj6.jpg
I seasoned with only a little Olive Oil, Kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper.

The bottle of choice for the inauguration:
tyqLn.jpg

After the sear, ~90 seconds on each side:
OtBSi.jpg

I should add my thoughts about the sear. I tried it with the dome closed this time (~700F), but next time I'll try it dome open as suggested on the Naked Whiz and here's why I think it might be better... 1st off, the fire was a little out of control and I singed a few arm hairs when trying to flip them :) I learned to put on my grilling gloves REAL QUICK. 2nd, the dome was hard to get down to 400F in 20 minutes. I figure it might be a little easier if the dome is not being heated during the lava hot sears. Would like to hear you guys' thoughts on that.

After 5 minutes on each side at 475F, while steadily coming down for the rest of the cook until I got to around 400F. This is post 5 minute rest:
xB6nh.jpg

I checked with a Thermapen before I took them off. Steak on left measuring 130F, other one up to 140F. The higher temp steak was well done on some parts, but actually med-rare at others (how I prefer). The consolation though was that the well done part was still DELICIOUS and juicy. Next time, I'll check the temp once more on the last flip, to see if I have any running a little hotter than others.

Finished product:
AJAUu.jpg

Overall, a delicious meal. I did the baked potatoes on the egg before the steaks - wrapped in foil with a coating of olive oil and salt. I did the asparagus on the egg as well with a grill wok (tray with holes). Great times and I look forward to many more posts! Thanks everyone!

Comments