Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egged Italian Beef Drippings Scorchifyment

Options
TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have made Italian Beef ala Large Marge 2 times. Both times I messed up with the drippings. The first time I lost temp control, so yeah fine. The 2nd time the temp was locked in but those bastards scorched anyway. I had the beef in a v-rack which was in a le creuset casserole dish and I had the dish on the second level of the rig.

Any idea why I am burning my drippings? Any suggestions? I am making another batch for Sunday.

Thanks kids!
tim

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    El Dirty,

I can never get good drippings unless it is a low temp cook and/or I use an indirect piece with the drip pan spaced off the indirect. If the le creuset is enamelled CI that might be a problem as well.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    When I do a cook that I am wanting the drippings from I make sure that the collection pot is raised above the plate setter with green feet or elbows and also make sure there is some liquid in the pan, 1/2 inch water, beer wine what ever is right for the dish. In your case I might use some red wine, beef bouliion, beef stock, water and or a little beer for the flavor Au jus wouks fine also.
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Your casserole was on the second rack, over direct heat? Gotta get something in there to deflect the heat...go indirect. And don't put the casserole directly on your heat shield, either. It should be raised.

I don't have the rig, so I use the plate setter for a heat shield, and put a round cooling rack (couple bucks at Ace) down, and put the drip pan on that.
  • TheDirtyBurger
    Options
    No I had my stone down in the spider. I added some water, still got the scorching. This time I used disposable aluminium pans so maybe that is why. My casserole dish cracked during the super bowl when making enchiladas in the oven. Maybe it was so used to the egg it could not take the oven. It was not cold or anything before putting it in so I am making the wife take it from once where it came.