Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt

Options
nemo
nemo Posts: 113
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Owner of BGE for 4 months. Have successfully smoked many dishes....from turkey to fish...till yesterday when I attempted a 2 1/5 lb Boston Butt. Set dome temp @ 250, used plate setter & water bowl, cooked for approx 5 hrs till internal temp hit 195. Pulled Butt and wrapped it in tin foil for 1 hr.
Attempted to pull the pork...could not. Had to slice a portion and chop it for sandwiches. Wrapped the remaining Butt in tin foil, cooked it in a 260 kitchen oven for 2 1/2 hrs. The result was easily pulled...and tasted very good.
What did I do wrong? I followed various guidelines from the web...to no avail. Guess I needed to cook it on the BGE for a much longer period of time...perhaps 7 hrs vs 5.
Any suggestions??
Fairview, Texas

Comments

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Are you sure your thermometer was calibrated? Also, temp is just a guideline you also have to test the meat. With a bone in butt, the bone just turns freely when it is done. I am guess you did not have a bone. Assuming you didn't try using a fork and trying to turn the fork. If the fork turns easily it is probably good.
  • usc1321
    usc1321 Posts: 627
    Options
    Well,
    There are many options here.. I usually only cook pork butts in the 5-10 pound range. I think a 2 pound butt may have been cut down to where you will not be able to have the plateau render the connective tissue down before you reach a temp of 195. This would be my guess. I have learned over the years the bigger the better. :laugh: This is really true with briskets. :laugh: The smaller butts tend to turbo cook before they become tender. :evil: If you are are worried about making too much, you can always freeze the left overs and save them for another time. ;)B) They reheat nicely,, just add alittle apple juice to the freezer bag to keep moist. :whistle:
    I also try to keep a temp of 225-235 for my butts. I am a fan of low and slow :whistle:
    Hopefully this helps. Just remeber never give up. It took me about 5 attemps before I got the brisket down, and my butts get better every time....so the family says :laugh: