Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vacuum sealing pulled pork?

fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,657
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
ive never used one of these before and will be sealing some pork to be reheated in the bag in boiling water during an ice fishing derby this weekend. do you seal any liguid in the bag such as sauce, vineger, coke or do you just seal it in dry.
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    fishlessman,[p]Dry is relative. There is a lot of "butt juice" in there already. (I should really find a better phrase for that last part).[p]Trouble is, if you try to vacuum seal it hot and fresh, the liquid will run up the bag and into your sealer and can ruin it. [p]May I recommend putting the butt into the freezer for a while first. Not totally frozen, but frozen enough that the juice won't beat all of the air out of the bag. Then, you can seal it and be good to go.[p]Does this make sense?
  • fishlessman
    Mark Backer,
    makes sense, when reheating do you toss the frozen bag into the hot water or are they thawed out first. im expecting zero degree weather so i know that they will be frozen

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,
    I was at Sams yesterday and they were demonstrating a foodsaver. I asked about the vacuuming of marinades into the meat. I explained that I will put the meat in a small cake pan, pour some marinade over the top then I will vacuum it all together. The demonstrator showed me how to add some marinade to the bag and seal it without using a cake pan. Simply fold up a paper towel and place it just inside the bag and seal away. As long as you dont use a gallon of marinade, the paper towel will absorb the extra marinade

• fishlessman
    BGEWDE,
    thats something to keep in mind, i dont want the pull to be marinated so if i put sauce in the bag it should be frozen first. the food saver i have is borrowed, but before i give it back will definately try marinating some steak tips

fukahwee maine

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    fishlessman,
    I'll second Mark's usggestion--partially freeze the pork/marinade combo or the moisture will run up the bag as the air is pulled out and you won't get a good seal.[p]BTW, that boston baked beanpot looked pretty good in your megasteak pictures. Even though I'm a southerner now, I still bake my beans the new england way and you need a real bean pot to keep them from being soupy. I were going ice fishing I'd probably make up some beans, too. Nothing like a baked bean sandwich for breakfast to keep you warm and help keep strangers away![p]You should have no problem droppin the frozen food saver bag into the hot water.

• fishlessman
    katman,
    my favorite sandwich is pulled pork from a picnic covered with homemade beans and just a little vinegar sauce with a little sweet baby rays mixed in.there will be plenty of beans as well as chilis, soups, sausages and kielbasas, staek tips, venison,etc. this year my contribution will be pulled pork, hot pastrami, and fried scallops and shrimp. some people call this roughing it

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,[p]I use low salt chicken broth in many of the meats I vacuum pack. I also don't sauce any meat that I pack. I use one tablespoon of broth per pound of meat but it must go into the bag first and then the meat over it. This works great for pulled pork. [p]Dave

• fishlessman
    Old Dave,
    perfect, i dont like pulled pork too sweet and i use tons of chicken broth for every thing from seafood to beef stew. never thought for pulled pork. have tried a little coke for reheating and while it seems to freshen the meat it leaves a sweet taste that i dont find ideal.chicken broth sounds ideal

fukahwee maine

• katman
    fishlessman,
    Sounds like a mighty sweet time with most of the critical food groups represented. Some cabbage/cheese and potato pierogi would be nice for slow burn energy!

• fishlessman,
    Where's the derby? Lake Winnie? I've done that one twice and had a ball....from what I can remember. Living in Charleston, SC.....not much ice here...only in my rum mug. Have a good time and enjoy the BUTT! Paul

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    fishlessman,
    sorry you didn't like the Coke - I only use one 12 oz can per 6 to 7 pounds of pulled pork - sweetness has never been a complaint so perhaps you used a lot by comparison.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • katman,[p]eeesh. I love beans..but not in the winter..most specially if'n I'm gonna be goin outside. The same darn things what keep you warm when you is outside is the same darned things what keeps air biskits in. If'n you think air biskits is bad when they first come out..try steepin in one for hours on end..then walkin inside and in one swoop..releasin its god awful bad self for all your kinfolks to find. Some things just cannot be blamed on the dog no matta what[p]On a side note..I had me a great uncle once..what was a priest..and he spent the bettah part of a summer savin up his air biskets in a big glass jug. Later that summah..while we was havin us a family reunion..he popped the cork on that there air biskit keepah ..and done had my gramma smell it. Sheesh willakers..I ain't nevah seen a face like that in all my dayz..even if'n you was tryin you couldn't even make it outta clay..I swear for as second her nose dissapeared from sight. Only one time did I evah see my gramma get sick..and it done took a coupla months worth of hot air biskists to do it..that woman is strong for sure. I knew right then why grampa called her a keepa.[p]After that happened..I was always afraid of priests..and in skool...one year a friend of mine done tol me them priests was nuttin to be fraid of..under all them robes and what not..they is men..and they prolly fart like the rest of us...if he only knew how untrue that wuz...[p]StumpBaby

• fishlessman
    Midnight Smoker,
    we will be fishing the winnie derby on lake ossipee this year, have 20 rooms rented near the yankee smoke house. several fishing pools and the derby.massive quantity of food of all types plus the cold weather medic duffle bag full of medicinal nips to keep warm with.next weekend a trip to trickey pond near lake sebago, someone caught a 9.5 pound monster landlock a week ago. the fishings slow there but trophy fish

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    RRP,
    every one loved the pork with the coke, and it does work good for reheating, i can eat tons of salt,hot peppers etc, but i just dont like sugar that much.while i couldnt taste the coke i could still taste the sweetness. it just stands out for me.i even make my own slaw without sugar while most like it sweet.next time i will water the coke with some broth and see how it works.

fukahwee maine

• katman
    StumpBaby,
    Them priests wear the robes so their cheeks ain't tight together to make vibrating noise as the air passes through![p]

• StumpBaby,[p]Good grieve man, that was some of your prime stuff...the funny, that is.