Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Backs on Sale

chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Fortunate this week to have a package of rub dropped off for me by Primeggister1 - recommended to apply liberally to ribs. Marc also mentioned to me that baby backs were on sale at a local grocery store - so I ran out first chance and got a few racks.

Used Car Wash Mike's method - forgot to strip the membrane - DUH! Heated up the egg first thing this morning - put the ribs on before heading off for work.

5477548057_9f9b0bae78.jpg
DSCN2625 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Took about 6 1/2 hours to get nice and bendy - slathered with a sticky sauce made with honey, molasses, ketchup, garlic, dijon and vinegar.

5477548149_af127e4fed.jpg
DSCN2630 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Comments

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Lookin Killer!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    They look killer Kerry!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great looking BB's. :P

I guess this is the weekend for ribs because I've got one slab of spare to trim up for this evening.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Those look amazing
    I hope mine turn out as well :)

Shane
  • Let me know what you think Kerry. The boys I cook with are really pumped about the new rub. I also did chicken thighs direct or a very low fire on an upper grate onmy XL and I just coated lighty with pure maple and a light dusting of rub again. Before taking off I dusted with fleur de sel (because it is a low salt frmula for ribs) and they were a hit. Cooking time 1.75 - 2 hours at 225-250 degrees. I got more packages being mailed out to my friends today.
  • Wish I had time to do ribs this weekend. Wouldn't worry about the membrane. Around here about half the folks believe in taking off and the other half advocate to leave on. You can do incredible ribs with or without IMHO.
  • chocdoc
    Primeggister1 wrote:
    Let me know what you think Kerry. The boys I cook with are really pumped about the new rub. I also did chicken thighs direct or a very low fire on an upper grate onmy XL and I just coated lighty with pure maple and a light dusting of rub again. Before taking off I dusted with fleur de sel (because it is a low salt frmula for ribs) and they were a hit. Cooking time 1.75 - 2 hours at 225-250 degrees. I got more packages being mailed out to my friends today.

Marc, these were bar none, the best ribs I've ever made. We didn't get around to eating them yesterday, took them out of the fridge, slathered again with the same sauce but mixed with a bit of Arthur Bryant's Thick and Rich, and heated at about 225 for an hour or so while I went to pick up my dad for dinner.

He left with a couple of meals worth.

I'll try the chicken thighs next.
  • Kerry,

Who has them on?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chocdoc
    Little Steven wrote:
    Kerry,

Who has them on?

Steve

Steve - it is Fortino's - suspect it ends today.
  • Zehrs should have them. They usually go Friday til Thursday

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The ribs look delicious! Really nice glaze. :)