Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roux help

Options
smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I admit it, I am old and have never made gravy before. The recipe calls for a roux made out of warm water and flour. When I search on-line the results say fat and flour. Any suggestions?
Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Slowly mix flour and cold water, I use 2 parts flour and 1 part water. If you use hot liquid it will make a mess. after stirring the mix slowly add to what ever you are making. use low heat and stir slowly.

If you are making a roux for gumbo or some southern dish try this.

Roux, Kurt Lucas

I've been making roux on a daily basis for the last 3 or 4 years (part of the job). Roux can be made with any type of fat. Gravies are generally made with the fat rendered from whatever you're serving it with, i.e.: turkey, chicken, beef etc. When making a cream soup, I prefer to use unsalted butter and make a light roux.

INGREDIENTS:

Procedure:
    1 Roux is classified in three basic categories-1*White 2*blonde 3*brown. Paul Prudhomme has come up with a black roux but I've never had the need or desire to even try this.
    2 The darker the roux the less thickening power it has. For instance, suppose a white roux has 100 percent thickening power. A brown roux only has 30-50 percent thickening power in comparison. Once the roux is added to whatever liquid you are thickening and it comes to a boil, the thickening process is done. It will not get any thicker so adjust now if too thick or too thin.
    3 I prefer the fast way of making roux, starting with HOT fat and wisking in the flour until I get the consistency of wet sand. This is approx. 50:50, I don't need to waste time measuring. With this high heat way of making roux, a brown roux only takes about 10-15 minutes (I don't wisk constantly, maybe every minute or two, but you do have to keep a close eye on it.
    4 Roux can be made in the pan with the onions, bell pepper, fat, etc. and the liquid added later or you can make your liquid and let it simmer and make the roux in a separate pan and add it to the liquid at the end. It all depends on what you are making which method you should use.
    5 I don't have any other recipes because roux is roux.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Sauce

Recipe Source
    Source: BBQ List, Kurt Lucas
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    you can do it either way, but using fat from drippings, butter, or both will be richer and give you a better gravy.

Whatever you use just add enough to get the flour incorporated and keep stirring until it is the color you want. Add more liquid a drop or two at a time if you need it.
  • Adam Boca
    Options
    Gravy is easy to make...2 tablespoons of melted butter in a sauce pan...once melted add 1/4 cup flour and cook for 5 minutes constantly stirring..add 4 cups of your stock and let boil till thick..
  • smbishop
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    Options
    Use instant flour (Wondra) and shake it really well in jar or covered container.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Not necessarily a roux for gravy, but I use this in all my cajun cooking. Makes a great roux.

½ cup Vegetable oil
    ½ cup Flour

With relatively high heat, slowly add flour to hot oil, whisking all of the time. When the roux starts to turn color, turn heat down and keep whisking until roux becomes a light caramel color.

Transfer to a bowl and microwave for one minute. Stir. Microwave for one more minute.

roux.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• MemphisQue
    Options
    Not sure if you are going for the true southern/louisiana style roux but that is made with flour and oil. Basically you cook the flour in a skillet with the oil over med-high heat. You have to constantly stir it until the flour(roux) becomes a nice golden brown color. Some will prefer a darker roux which means you cook it longer. Have to be careful not to burn the roux. you have to constantly stir it will it is cooking. Then this is the base for all types of dishes like gumbo, soup, etc. Making homemade roux takes some practice. You can cheat and go to cajungrocer.com and oder premade roux that is second to none. Buy the Savoie's brand.
  • Spaceman Spiff
    Options
    I haven't followed the BBQ list for years but I remember Kurt Lucas's posts.

Spacey
  • smbishop
    Options
    I a ready to pracitce. Thanks!!
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have 10 of his recipes in my data base. Send me a good email if interested.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    If you are going to use olive oil only us regular, the EVOO has a tendancy to take heat too fast.
    Randy
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I'm in camp with Richard.
    A roux is a roux, except for the color.
    I use a 50 / 50 of oil (a fat of some sort) and flour. That's it. ;)