Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitchen aid meat grinder any good?

Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Curious if the Kitchen-aid meat grinder attatcment is adequate (or how adequate) for "normal" (?!) usage.(for 2, and probably not doing enough to freeze.)
Mostly grinding chuck for burgers I would think.
I have the K.A. already..also seriously considering a pasta maker, but that's a whole nuther story! :laugh:

Comments

• I have found it works great for sausage-making, and the meat I use is probably tougher to work than chuck.
  • The KA grinder attachment works fine for small amounts, it's just to slow to do large bulk jobs, plus grinding a lot can be hard on your powerhead. I gave my grinder attachment to another forum member when I bought my commercial grinder because I frequently grind 15 to 20# at a time.

Mark
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC07255a.jpg

The KA grinder is an excellent value. I grind between 5 and 50 pounds at a time and I plan on 1 minute per pound for the actual grinding. My mixer is real old and one of the low watt models and I run it on #4 setting. I do cut the meat into strips and chill to "icy" prior to grinding.

The KA stuffer is not a good tool at all.. you will need to invest in a dedicated stuffer once you get into sausage.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ahhh Great news!
    This is just what I was hoping to hear!
    I be gettin' one now, as it sounds like it will do all I would want. (currently!)
    Thank you all very much!
  • You really can't go wrong getting the KA attachment. It's a good starter grinder and if you grow out of it and want a bigger machine, it's always nice to have around for small jobs. With all due respect to thirdeye, though, I went nuts waiting on the darn thing if I had more than 5 or 10 lbs to grind. I've had a Fleetwood PSE12 for about 4 years now. It's a 1.5hp grinder that has an advertised rate of 9 to 10 lbs. per minute and I can't physically keep up with it usually. The really nice thing about it is that I can toss very large chunks of meat down the throat of that thing so I don't have much time tied up in cubing up large hunks-o-meat OR grinding.

Mark
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I use mine for 2 to 4 lbs and works fine.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I bet you had your mixer speed set too high, or didn't have the meat chilled enough. The KA grinder likes to chug along at slow speeds.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  •  
    I bought a new KA 610 with the grinder & stuffer attachments. I ground some meat to make summer sausage and to make a batch of Thirdeye's sausage. At the end of the process I heard some odd noised in the head and called KA tech's. I ended up sending the unit back and they sent out a new one (in reverse order).

I was told the KA only had an on duty cycle of about 15 minutes before it had to be cooled off. The stuffer is a total waste of time and energy. The grinder worked OK other than burning out the new 610 (high wattage). I cooled the meat and cut in cubes when I ground.

With that said, you read thirdeye's post above his works great. Many folks grind on the KA and have good results. I think getting the meat a bit icy might make a difference. The meat I ground was cool but by no means icy.

I ended up getting a high end home grinder and a 5# vertical stuffer. At times I wish I had gotten a larger stuffer.

You will love the end results of grinding your own meats.

GG
  •  
    Gave mine away to another forum member also...

Hi Mark. Hope all is well.

Kent
  • i tortured my self for many years.... with an"oster" harry homeowner model stuffer /grinder..... once you use the proper gear..... you will have a eye opening experience..... check cabela's store in the " bargain cave"..... they sell refurbs and returns at a tremendous discounts as well as regular sales.... i have a 1 hp grinder.... and the 30 pound stuffer as well as the mixer ,,,,, purchased all at great prices from the " cave"..... it takes me minutes to do what i did in several hours..... put an ad on craig's list....a lot of business' are going under and you can buy appliances at great prices...just my 2 cents....check cabela's website....it's very informative....rr
  • Hey Wayne,

How are the new models of Kitchen aid for stuffers? have they improved it from your older model? I have been thinking about purchasing the large Kitchen Aid Pro. Do you know anything about that model? Left you a message aswell last week.

Marc
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I guess I won't be getting that grinder anytime soon. :ermm:

http://www.selectappliance.com/exec/ce-product/fl_pse12
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Can you let me know what you find out about the KAPro and it's accessories. Tim
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    For "normal" usage,I love my KA grinder.I haven't tried large batches,but I know that it works great for up to 5 lbs(the most that I have done at one time) :) I have a KA Pro 620,and it didn't break a sweat.I do put the meat in the freezer for a little while before grinding also :)

DSC_0110-1.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0209-1.jpg

Nothing like a fresh ground burger to keep the kids happy :lol: :woohoo:

DSC_0242.jpg
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great pictures Doug!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Buddy,

Little guy eating burgers already? :laugh:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    HAHAHA,not yet,but it won't be long.Little Big'un(Cameron)already weights 20lbs and isn't 5 months old yet :ohmy: The boy does like to eat :P
  • Any teeth yet? Both my boys were on solid food at 3 months. Das a big boy!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• 600 Watts or better, keep auger cool every 5 lbs take apart and put in ice water, keep meat almost frozen. It is a great grinder but IMOP is not a commercial grinder
  • Use mine all the time. KA works great freeze meat in strips for bout 1/2- 1 hour.I use 4 pounds sirloin and 2-3 pounds brisket. Makes best ground beef you ever had!!!
    I will never buy ground beef again from the store.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    i just got the meat grinder and haven't used it yet, but i can HIGHLY recommend the pasta attachment.
  • Jer_inva
    Jer_inva Posts: 109
    Several years ago I purchased the pasta maker for my mother who makes almost all of her noodles. She absolutlely loves the attachment. You won't regret it I'm sure.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    It's a good grinder but you need to be patient while using it. I have since purchased a 1 1/4 HP grinder and there is no comparison. KA is a nice cheap grinder to have, but if you plan on grinding a lot of meat throughout the year it would be worth investing in a good grinder.
  • Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    I'll add that the housing is made of plastic and mine eventually cracked. I've since replaced my kitchen aid with the cuisinart stand mixer and it's metal housing meat grinder attachment.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle