Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all got to celebrate those tasty food holidays last week, we sure enjoyed them! We are even more excited about the beginning of fall, for so many reasons, but mainly for experiencing the cool, crisp air while being outside cooking up the best recipes the season has to offer. We especially love these Beer Pork Tenderloin and Ground Beef Acorn Squash recipes! Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Brisket Baby Back Ribs same time

gdub16gdub16 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I only have one large BGE, wanted to cook brisket and bababy back ribs. I have never cooked brisket before. I got a 5lb brisket from Wegmans. I understand typically will take 1 1/2 2 hours per pound. If I cut brisket in two pieces will they take shorter amount of time. I was going to do Ribs indirect place setter with drip pan. 3-1-1 method on the ribs and put the brisket around the the Rib rack. Due to some timinng issue can not start early enough for my liking. I would like them to finish around same time, understand I should wrap brisket in foil and towel in a cooler for about an hour. Any tips an suggestions for this type of cook would be appreciated.

Comments

• Jer_invaJer_inva Posts: 109
    If you purchased a 5lb brisket is it a full flat or just part of one? The main problem you will have is drying out the brisket and cutting it in half will increase your chances of drying out. I would recommend you start the brisket early and when you are ready to put the ribs on, wrap the brisked in foil to help retain moisture. Of course a problem you risk with foil is having the brisket taste more like it was done in a pot than cooked, but that would be better than having it dry out on you. Maybe someone else would have a different recommendation.

Jer
  • gdub16gdub16 Posts: 14
    I looks like it is a full as it is similar to the picture on the dizzy pig site below but it is just over 5lbs So if I seperate the flat from the point your saying the flat might get drie out from over cooking or just that fat and juices from the point won't be flowing through it during the cook?

Another question is Do you cook with Fat cap up or facing down?

So you think a 5 1/2 lbs full brisket would take about 10 hours at 250 indirect?

Was going to use some Cowlick 50/50 mix with sugar in the raw, should I do apply that over night or the morning of the cook?

I have a furneral to go to at 10:00am could be back as late as 1:00pm.

I guess I could put it on around 8:30am hope my temps holds at 250 while I am gone. Anyways thanks for input.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBrisket.html