Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

terminal diseases

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,762
edited November -1 in Off Topic
does it seem much more common now than it used to, seems i know too many. just seems to be way too common lately. just this week ive been to the visiting room of an old friend that has maybe a month or two with pulminary disease, repiped some tubing that runs up the arm directly to the heart for medicated injections (second liver is failing/ rejecting), heart attack with another, colon cancer with another just diagnosed, and renal failure with the dog, and two friends that rescently passed away. maybe you guys dont want to know me
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Comes with the territory of aging, unfortunately. As we get older, our friends to to. Add that to the fact that medical professionals are getting newer and better methods of detection and it seems more and more people are being diagnosed.

It sucks and it hurts to see our friends and family members fight to enjoy what's left of their lives. But I'm still glad I got to meet you.

Some might argue it is better to know the end is nearing to get the proverbial house in order as opposed to going the way my mother-in-law did recently, with no warning signs or symptoms that anything was wrong. I argue that there is no good way.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    just seems like its to often, even at my age. i dont think that more than a couple that i hung out with as a kid will make 60, within a 5 house radius of where i grew up, we had one stabbed, one shot by his dad, one drowned when a rock rolled over ontop of him in a brook, one heart attack, one shot himself in the heart while dying with pancreatic cancer, and one that might make the spring. theres six left including myself, im the oldest and have 14 years more to make 60. maybe we were all supposed to get on a bus one day that went over a cliff but somehow didnt
    fukahwee maine

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Far too common! I am not all that old but most of my friends, many younger than I, are now dead :(

Your friend has what is called a PICC line, Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter. The First Mate used to put those in before she retired, she was good at it but she hated doing them.

Hope you or I never need one.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    yep picc line, they didnt put the adapter on. he has piping all over, drain lines, lines for drip feeds etc. lives in mexico, flies all over the world selling and setting up systems, i dont know how he keeps going, schedules emergency care around appointments and flights, most of us would just sit at home.
    fukahwee maine

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Fish, I know how you feel. As for me I think I rather find out after I go. That way I can live each day like it's my last. BTW you got two years on me. Best you you bud. ;)
  • Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    No doubt. That's why you and I fish when we can, and egg when we can. Every day counts. Hang in there, Scott