Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dallas BBQ Lovers Rejoice - Kruez in N. Texas!!!!

LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Check out

www.lockhartsmokehouse.com

Finally, GREAT LOCKHART BBQ in our own backyard!!! Kreuz has opened in Dallas!!!!! I feel like I just won the lottery....Will try it over next week and report back, and if others get there before me, please share!

:woohoo: :) :silly: :lol: :cheer: :ermm: :huh: :woohoo:

Sorry, I am verklempt :whistle:!!!

Comments

• The original has great que!
  • Well, that doesn't do us any good in Houston. But it is closer than Plano.

Lived in Texas 23 years and still haven't been to Larkhart.

I'm sure they're getting pretty worried about not seeing me.

Spring "Passed Up Lots Of Good BBQ Places To Get To Those That Were Awful" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I don' think that it has any real connection to Kreuz, other than it uses their sausage. I've been meaning to go and check it out.

Full Custom Gospel BBQ reviewed it here

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com/2011/02/lockhart-smokehouse.html

As did the Texas BBQ Posse here

http://texasbbqposse.blogspot.com/2011/02/see-photos-first-trip-of-many-to.html

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    It's owned by step grand daughter of the originator and thge pitmaster. The Pitmaster is a 29 yr. old Cordon Bleu trained guy from St. Louis. THe store is located in the Bishop Arts District. Red flags everywhere. Here is an actual review. There are more reviews,too. It seems that the place has improved some since this one.

Sat, 2-5-11 1:00PM order ½ lb. brisket receive ¾ lb. meat is tough but has a good smoky flavor would have been very good if allowed to cook 2 more hours
    (1 owner professional chief? 1 owner trained at the Mecca of BBQ Lockhart?)15 bucks a pound could have trimmed fat off and cooked till tender.
    Watched them slicing ribs while we waited in line ordered 2 ribs when it came our turn when he brought them over to be weight they were 2 giant ribs don’t know where he found them but they were nothing like we saw them cutting when we were waiting in line They had good flavor but tough I have never had anything that tough at the chain BBQ places (professional?) Ribs cost me $ 4.44 a piece????
    Ordered the shoulder clod it came out red like prime rib not what I am used to or what they serve at Lockhart but it was very good tender and smoky really enjoyed it.
    Had 2 links of original sausage we loved them thought they were excellent just like Kreuz (which was were they came from) but at $5.00 a link? I think they are $2.35 at Lockhart
    Had 2 small bags of chips cost us $4.00 bucks could have cooked us some fries for that
    We spent $50.00 for 3 adults (2 Women) to eat (2 of us drank water) in a bad part of town when I spend this kind of money I expect way more than I got save your money go to an area where your family is safe and just eat at 1 of the chain restaurants and the next time your thru Lockhart stock up on sausage This place wont see us a 2nd time.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Steve, think I will stick with Twin Peaks.LOL
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • hornhonk
    Darian, I think I'll give it a try, just out of curiosity.
  • Steve!!!

Your killing the dream brother!!!! They have only been open a few weeks, and you are right, the reviews get better with the passing weeks. We will see...but for me...I WANT TO BELIEVE!!!! However, the bottom line is matching or even getting close to what Roy Perez (Pitmaster at Kreuz in Lockhart) is cooking is a steep hill to ascend, for any pitmaster IMHO!

Dave
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Copy me an email if I miss your post about your visit.
    See you in a couple weeks...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Yea... and the view of the hills is nicer.

Spring "Look But Don't Touch The Skyline" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • If you notice on the menu under beef they have "Shoudler Clod". After seeing an article about the market and that is what they use a lot of, I found a local butcher that keeps shoulder clod(they use for flat iron steaks)in stock and I bought a 23 lber!! What monster!! Cooked for over 17 hrs to get to 185* and was so stinking tender, fork tender and full of flavor. Have to make it there and try their clod. Good find.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Boy, I wish the best for 'em.... Heck, I ate at what the locals still called called Kreuz (which was actually Smitty's) long before the split-up, and one of my brisket mentors used to be a bus boy there...

Hopefully the granddaughter and her husband will not over think this venture and try to go too far too fast.

Look at the Chris Lilly story, he married Bob Gibsons great granddaughter, and Don.... his father-in-law was just about as famous as Bob. Chris wanted in the business, but those are pretty big boots to fill. Here is a clip from an interview with Chris, and the question was simple enough: How did you get your start in BBQ?

Don, my wife's father, always wanted to open another restaurant in Decatur, Ala. but he never had anyone to run it, so he decided to build one and offered me the job. They were so supportive of me coming in and learning. When I first started, I came in with the pit guys at 6 a.m. and spent years learning the BBQ techniques of Big Bob Gibson. I didn't feel comfortable managing the staff unless I knew how to barbecue myself.

Now, that's how to make your bones in this business.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • hornhonk
    Dave, we need to make a road trip!
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I agree hornhonk I see several red flags. Read the "our story", so her grandaddy ran Kreuz, and she ran off to NYC and "ate at some of the nations finest restaurants"..and then they talked about BBQ while they lived in NYC..??? I fail to see the qualifications.

Located in Bishop Arts District. Trying to make BBQ sound artsy? Why don't they just come out and say Oak Cliff.

I hope they make it, and they learn how to cook, I am sure I will try it out someday. In the meantime I am pretty happy with Sammy's in downtown Dallas, and Sonny Bryan's on Harry Hines.
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.