Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Approx temp required to bake bread please

Options
BigBadger
BigBadger Posts: 461
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Looking up on the Innernit I see bread should be baked at 400°-ish to an internal of 180-190°-ish.

I see Hoss and Fidel talking bread a lot and am curious about what temps you try to work towards.

(no, this is not a repeat of my last temp post :ermm: )

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I use different temps for different breads. What type of bread are you doing?
  • BigBadger
    Options
    A hearth style white with some flax in it.
  • ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    Options
    I do white loaves at 375* dome with a 1 hour preheat until done to 190* internal and sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom of the loaf. It should take roughly 40 minutes and you should rotate at the 20 min mark. Good luck!
  • BigBadger
    Options
    Sounds good! Thanks!!! First its bread then cheese stuffed Pretzels, a la Guy Fieri. Pix to follow.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Really depends on the type of bread and the type of crust you are looking to develop.

Try this if you want a really hearty loaf with a terrific crust (not an egg cook, but certainly interesting). After all your rises, etc., put the loaf into a cold oven and put an empty cast iron skillet on the rack below. Set the temp to whatever the recipe indicates, and then begin timing the bake when the oven gets to temp. Five minutes after the oven gets to temp, toss a couple tablespoons of water into the skillet to create a heavy steam. Bake until the bread is done.

White bread is done around 190, whole grains around 205, and some heavier rustic loaves need to go to 210.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    use the temp on the recipe. with my setup up higher in the dome i found it cooked a little faster than the oven recipe. been a while since i made bread
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it