Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why 16+ hours?

Options
Moldy Coyote
Moldy Coyote Posts: 36
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
During a break in the cold Saturday, went with my bride to Publix, and at her suggestion, picked up a 7.5# picnic shoulder. I had mentioned bbqbluesstringer's (thanks!) post about an 8 hour butt.
Although many successes at other cooks have lulled me into thinking anything is possible on the Egg, I was reluctant to try an overnight cook.
Slathered in French's, Maple from the Eggfest and an injection of Tony Chachere's, I let her sit in the fridge overnight (thanks for the visual WessB).
I awoke to no electricity, but put her on at 8:30. Full load of BGE lump, plate setter, drip pan, 3 fist-sized chunks of hickory and right on the grid with an ET 73 probe in the meat and the dome. Had to leave(dome 275, meat 140)because of great Buck stove-wet wood.
Came home to 250 dome, 190 meat; pulled at 200, wrapped in foil and cooler, and served 2 hours later.
Total time: 7 hours, 7.5#. Question....?
Why, How did it turn out so good??[p]Thanks! David[p]

Comments

• randomegger
    Options
    Moldy Coyote,[p]That's been my question as well. I've never cooked a butt more than about ten hours or so - most of them well under that. I suspect that it does lose a bit in the process but it's always come out lip smacking good![p]RE
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Moldy Coyote,
    I don't get it either. I've had "turbo" cooks on butts and shoulders that are 7 or 8 hours. Then the longest I've had was 24 hours for an 11 pound butt. Go figure. No one has ever been able to give me, or any others forthat matter, a reasonable explanation. Kinda messes up the day when you are expecting guests and your butt is cooked 12 hours before they arrive. Oh well.

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Options
    Moldy Coyote,
    One thought. Was the picnic "injected"?
    If so, that is pretty much the functional
    equivalent of brining, which always, (for me),
    leads to shortened cooks. Have you calibrated
    the dome thermo? When I do pulled pork I always
    use Smithfield Butts (non-injected), and allow
    2 hours a pound with a dome temp of 260-270.
    I usually am finished within an hour of target.[p]Chuck

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    Moldy Coyote,
    I cook mine at a lower temp. approx 220-230* I haven't done a turbo cook on the EGG for butts, but have noticed that on an offset smoker I can do one in 5 hours at a lower temp but the fat doesn't break down as well with a long lo n slo cook and the meat doesn't pull as well.
    My longest cook was 20 hours on an Egg with 2 8# butts.[p]

• BucsFanJim
    Options
    Correction: 5 hours at a much higher temp