Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mexican Night at MPs - Chicken/Black Bean Burritos

Options
Mud Pig
Mud Pig Posts: 489
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There is a lack of really good Mexican Restaurants in the DC area. Comes with the territory and I'm a little biased since I've spent some time in Sourthern California. I thought I'd do a cook based on what I normally would order when I hit a Mexican joint. Everything besides the tortillas was made from scratch at home, came out great.

Onto the cook.

Here we have black beans that were soaked overnight boiling in chicken stock. 1 jalapeno pepper, 1 white onion and 4 cloves of garlic are being sweated in the frying pan with cumin and salt. I added the vegetables into the black beans half way through their cook for flavor.
IMG00225-20110222-1738.jpg

All the ingredients for the guacamole. 1 jalapeno, 2 serrano chilis, 3 avocados, half a white onion, cilantro, lime juice, salt.
IMG00228-20110222-1743.jpg

All mixed together.
IMG00230-20110222-1803.jpg

Can't have guac without chips. I cut up 4 burrito sized tortillas.
IMG00229-20110222-1803.jpg

Frying them for 2 minutes in canola oil.
IMG00232-20110222-1824.jpg

Back to the burrito. Here is my brined chicken breasts (used my pork butt brine) with root rub all over them on the egg.
IMG00233-20110222-1841.jpg

Chopped up for the burrito.
IMG00235-20110222-1856.jpg

Warming up the burrito tortilla with some jack cheese on a cast iron skillet.
IMG00234-20110222-1856.jpg

Burrito ingredients all ready to be wrapped. Black beans, brined root rub chicken breast, jack cheese, and sour cream mixed with honey for a little salty sweet taste.
IMG00236-20110222-1858.jpg

All plated up, homemade chips, guac and a chicken burrito.
IMG00237-20110222-1902.jpg

Makes me sad I don't own a Mexican joint because it was good eats. Viva Mexico!

MP

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    That all looks great, and remember all you have to do is start your own mexican joint if you want to. Dont tell yourself you cant cuz you can!! B)
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Hey...!!! It's Mexican night here at the Chicken Ranch too. Well, not actually 'here' but two blocks up the street to our favorite Mexican Restaurant with their $2.00 happy hour margaritas and nightly specials.

One more reason we can't move away.

Spring "Si To Another Margarita" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Looks pretty good & welcome anytime mi amigo,
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    I might take you up on that Beli. I may be going to Mexico for work at some point. You have to love the State Department.
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    Haha, I'd have to get permission from the wife. Don't think she wants me cookin for anyone excpet me, her and the baby.

A nice thought though. I'd call it "Senor Mud Pigs Mexico!". Here we go!!
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    At least you can get the ingredients you need in DC. I would think cilantro would be hard to get there....good job! I'll think about you tonight as we enjoy our regular "Wednesday" Mexican night out with our neighbors ;) Just might get a burrito....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Nice looking cook! My wife just started making her own guacamole about 6 months ago and it's off the hook good. She uses a red onion and some diced roma tomatoes also.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    MP...looks good!!!!

have you tried the El Paso Cafe on Pershing Drive between Glebe Road and George Mason?? its pretty damn good food!!

that and "Abi's" grill on columbia pike right next to mcdonalds for really good salvadoran food!!. ...
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Dang...that looks really fine. I think I need to go get a chip n some jalapenos to go with my tequila shooter :P
  • LDD
    LDD Posts: 1,225
    Options
    nice!
    context is important :)
  • Mud Pig
    Options
    I actually have tried El Paso cafe off of Glebe Road and like it. They do nice tex mex there. I thought their fajitas needed a little help though. My favorite Mexican place in the Metro area is Blue Agave up in Federal Hill in Baltimore. I don't get up to B-More as much as I use to, which led to my own Mexican night.

ANother place in Arlington is Guajillo down on Wilson. Rio Grande has great fajitas, but there other tex mex fare is not anything to write home about.

Still looking for a place that has it all and everything is great in DC.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    i'll have to try guajillo....there is another place on wilson, just past the safeway at george mason...cant' think of the name of it at the moment, but its also good....and i've always been a big fan of anita's (any of their locations around fairfax county)....