Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon rolled stuffed chicken thighs

Options
snake701uk
snake701uk Posts: 187
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My butcher has a sale of chickens this week. I am filling my freezer of course. I have just got hold of some decent charcoal, so I want to come up with a series of stuffed chicken pieces (thighs seem to be best)recipes for the summer. I imagine bacon wrapped, sausage based stuffing, possibly chicken marinated in lemon juice. The objective is to be very tasty, nothing else. Cheese could be used for some versions but I have my reserves. Crabmeat seems another good idea. Please bear in mind that I live in Italy, so any reference to ready made rubs or sauces are of no use. Also "Italian" seasoning, sauces, etc has no sense here, or anywhere for that matter. To compensate I have a huge supply of spices etc so I make my own sauces and rubs. Any links or ideas, recipes would be appreciated. I have a Large BGE. Me and my daughters are looking for explosive (not too hot) tastes. My guests this summer will want the same.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Hey Englishman, I like my chicken thighs with a sweet rub applied to them. I have an adjustable rig from the ceramicgrillstore.com and I place a rig extender on top of that with one of his ovals on top of that. Another words I cook them direct up very high in the dome at 400F dome until 200F inside the meat. When I cook them this way the skin gets nice and crispy. I also butterfly cut whole chicken and cook them the same way and cook until the leg or dark meat is 200F inside.

Sorry nothing fancy. :)

Have a great day in Italy ;)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like breast pounded thin stuffed with goat cheese and jalapeños (peppers). I use a rub with lots of cumin in it. Wrapped in bacon grilled direct and high in the dome at 375.
    photo-54.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Being in Italy, try a variation on chicken saltimboca. I did a variant using thighs instead of the usual breasts. I did them on the Egg, direct, raised grill. Had to toothpick them together. They cooked very quickly.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    That looks fantastic. Haven't ventured into tieing/wrapping yet but was going to try a pork tenderloin that way this weekend.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    You live in Italy, congratulations. We learned from a prior post that what you consider Italian sausage differs from what we consider Italian sausage in the US. We now understand that the term “Italian seasoning” also has no meaning where you are or anywhere for that matter. So although I am apparently speaking from nowhere, let me try and simplify this. When Italians fled Italy en masse in & around 100+ years ago, they took with them their methods but not necessarily their ingredients. Upon arrival in the middle of nowhere (insert any US City or town here), they used their methods in combination with what ingredients were readily available in their new homes. These varied somewhat from place to place. Over the very many years that have elapsed since, some of these have been homogenized into what are today generally accepted (in the US) as things like “Italian Sausage” (pork sausage with fennel and various spices), and “Italian Seasoning” (usually some combination of salt, pepper, red pepper, garlic, oregano…) & and so forth. It is not complicated. These are not nor are they intended to be authentic Italian foods, rather, they are Italian inspired foods created by Italians that moved to the US. We call ourselves Italian Americans. Mystery solved.

Regarding your specific question, since you like thighs, just stuff with your favorite sausage and/or cheese & some fresh herbs, roll up & season with salt & pepper – hard to beat that combination.

Another option is doing them in a muffin pan. These were boneless thighs pounded out & stuffed with sausage & fresh basil, some homemade rub applied (sweet paprika, salt, pepper, hot pepper, garlic powder, onion powder…), cheese was added at the end of the cook to prevent it from leaking out:

IMG_4690.jpg

Put them in the egg indirect at about 400 for 10-15 minutes, until they can hold their shape:

IMG_4691.jpg

Then remove to finish as well as add some flavor & color to the exterior:

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg

When the are just about done, add a little cheese to the top if you want:

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4701.jpg

Very simple, very tasty
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Wow - I would never have thought of doing chicken that way. Well said re italian cooking in America.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Those look great, Zippylip. I'm gonna have to try them that way.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    WOW those look great and i will be doing those sometime soon!!
  • snake701uk
    Options
    Thanks, I will bear that in mind.
  • snake701uk
    Options
    Thanks, I don't know why but I never thought of tying them with string. Neat way.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Awsome
    These are going on this weekend :)

Shane
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    This was posted several months back. This isn't spicy or hot, but really an excellent combination of flavors...and a fun cook if you have a whole bird.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=899734&catid=1

It would certainly work in thighs, too, or any stuffable cut for that matter. :)
  • snake701uk
    Options
    No! Congratulations to all of you guys that live in the US. It is enough just to check this forum to see the wonderful things you cook and the fantastic help and information you all give.If I spent a fortune in buying a BGE in Italy there is a reason! My compliments to you all. My main problem is "raw material" lump, rubs, almost all accessories etc. However I get by. I realy want to visit at an eggfest in the US during the year, as last year I failed due to work reasons.
    Just to clear up the "Italian" bit. I get (got) lost with this reference. When a recipe called for "Italian seasoning" I just did not know what to add. Stupid me, when you guys say a DP rub I just make my own, so leason learnt. No more references to "Italian" labels from me, I will just invent as always. End of Story.
    Thanks for waking me up.
    Your cook looks great and original. I will certainly try it. I would never have dreamed of doing it like that. Gave me a crazy idea. Make them as you did, keep warm, then make yorkshire puddings in same muffin pan, add back chicken, add chicken gravey. Ok too crazy but could be worth a try.
    Thanks for all your help. Andy
  • snake701uk
    Options
    Great cook, thanks. Andy
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    What a super idea! That looks like something I need to try. Thanks for posting
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Dang Zippy, that looks great...I will have to try that!