Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza stone set up

greendean
greendean Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I made pizza the other night. Put my platesetter with the legs up, and the grill grate on top of platesetter. I then put my pizza stone on the grate. Does this sound like a decent set up to do pizza?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I've never done it that way, but that doesn't mean you're wrong. I do legs down, spacers (green egg feet, terra cotta flower pot feet, copper plumbing pieces... whatever) between the platesetter and the pizza stone. No grid at all. Has always worked well for me.

As for your method, if you liked the pizza, then it was a good method. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• my only problem was that I got a strong charcoal flavor. I am not sure if that was because I did not let the charcoal burn clean(even though the last ones still tasted that way) or if It had something to do with the set up
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    That set-up has worked for me for years :) How did your pizza turn out?Go with whatever works for ya ;)

DSC_0085-1.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    That is exactly how I have done pizzas on the egg.
  • have you ever had a strong charcoal flavor? How long do you preheat and at what temp?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    The strong flavor has nothing to do with the setup. More likely with how long you let it burn before you put the pizza on. If the smoke coming out of the top smells bad, the pizza will taste bad. I'm betting you just didn't wait long enough for the bad smell to dissipate.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    You did not mention how hot you cooked the pies and how long you let the pizza stone and plate setter preheat.

I cook hot (650+) and it is normally an hour+ from the time I light the Egg until I cook a pie.

There is essentially no smoke coming out the vent at that point.

I cook with the PS, legs down, three inch spacers and then the pizza stone.

05-02-11Pizza3.jpg
  • I preheated it about 40 minutes to get it between 550 and 600. I think you are right, just need to let it burn longer, do you get any charcoal flavor at all?
  • I do the legs down so I can put some spacers (I use four 1 1/2 inch nuts) under the pizza stone. I had read on this site that doing this will help the stone last longer as it provides the stone a buffer from the high heat on the place setter.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    MemphisQue wrote:
    I do the legs down so I can put some spacers (I use four 1 1/2 inch nuts) under the pizza stone. I had read on this site that doing this will help the stone last longer as it provides the stone a buffer from the high heat on the place setter.

If you use the plate setter legs-up with the grid on top,then the pizza stone,you get more of a "buffer" :ohmy: I actually prefer this set-up for another reason though.A plate setter in the legs-down position deflects the heat of the fire directly toward the gasket :whistle: Also,I don't have to keep up with spacers(I have enough crap to keep up with) :lol: I still say,go with whatever works for you ;)
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    I tried that on the XL and really warped my aftermarket grid with the high heat. Maybe with BGE grid and a shorter span on the L, it would not matter.

May not be a problem for you, but wanted to share so you are aware of the problem it caused me (again, aftermarket grid, XL size).

YMMV.

Richard
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC07592aa.jpg

RTD got me hooked on using the green feet to create a little air space between the pizza stone and the legs down plate setter.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • FINALLY!! A good use for them Big Green Feet! Eggcellent! Thanks!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC00073a.jpg

I use them on several of my chicken and casserole cooks.

DSC09789a.jpg

DSC08150a.jpg

DSC08163a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • I just responded to your other post when I saw this one.
    Yes, there is usually some smokiness to the flavor. Pizza is one of the foods that picks up smoke in the flavor very easily.

I think you gave it enough time to pre-heat, but what you really need to do is check the smoke. is it non-existant or a light,wispy bluish smoke? If so it's ready to cook. If you're cooking in the dark and are having trouble seeing the smoke, do the best you can and then sniff the smoke. (don't get too close, you'll burn your nostrils! :laugh: ) If the smoke smells good/aromatic, then it's ok to cook on. if it smells more chemical or like someone's house is on fire, it's not ready yet.

There will always be some smell of smoke, the key is getting it right .

Also- I forgot to comment on your setup. I used to do it that way but wasn't excited about the results. I tried platesetter legs down, 3 spacers then Pizzastone and have never gone back. I'm thinking there may have been something leftover on the grid (but that should've burned off) but I don't know. I like it better PS legs down than legs up on the grid.
  • That's a good point
  • BDogD
    BDogD Posts: 14
    Ha! I've never seen a Crown Roast of Chicken before. B)

I do the legs up, grid, pizza stone setup and it seems to work for me. Haven't had the BGE XL grid warp.
  • What size pizza stone should I purchase for a large?
  • Goody
    Goody Posts: 102
    I have done this setup 2 ways, at the end of the day both settle the egg around 500 - 550. 1) You can let your egg go full force and get up to 600 - 650 like you would a steak and then put the plate setter, grate and stone in to heat up. 2) start with the plate setter grate and stone in and let the egg run wide open until you reach temp. Agin both will settle around 550. In my opinion that does 2 things, 1) at the higher temp it cooks the pizzas in a shorter time (10 - 15 min) depending what you topped it with and 2) the higher temp makes for "cleaner" smoke faster. Both of those things limit the smokiness in the dough if you do not prefer it. Personally I think pizza at that temp and time is a great balance of smoky flavor and crispy crust. Below is photos of pizza I have done this way.

DSC_0029_5.jpg

DSC_0023_4.jpg

At the end of the day there is really no wrong way to do it. You learn that in hear opinions can be like noses, everybody's got one. :laugh: Take them all in and do what works for you. Just have fun with it. Pizza is one of those thing were your creativity can go wherever! ;)
  • Have any of you noticed less stress on the gasket with legs up? I posted last week about my first pizza cook at 550 and the three edges where the plate setter is recessed had crispy gasket (crust was crispy too).

BGE is sending me a replacement (it was basically a brand new egg) but I'd like it to last longer than 1 pizza. I'm thinking legs up for me. I also have some split firebricks I can use to raise the stone off the grid.

Can I still get a good crispy crust legs up?
  • malcl
    malcl Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    I cooked pizza  for the first time last night on my XL lge.  Setup was plate setter - legs up, grill gate and pizza stone on top.  Heated to 650 deg for 15 mins dropped the temp to 600 and started cooking.  First I cooked a smoked salmon, creme fraiche and dill pizza which took 15 mins to cook it was perfect.  I kept the temp at 600 and cooked a sausage onion and garlic pizza which took only about 6 minutes and was also perfect. Finally, I cooked a   margherita  pizza which burned in about 3 mins.  I assume that even though I kept the temp constant at 600 the stone continued to heat up over the 45 mins or so that it took to cook the pizzas.

Question:  How do I better regulate the temp of the stone?
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    I use the exact same setup that you did - plate setter up, grid, then pizza stone. Heat the stone to 600 to 650 for at least 30-45 minutes before cooking and have never had too much smoke flavor in the pies. I've seen somewhere that if your crust is getting too done before the toppings, you can put a damp towel on the stone to bring the temp down some. I just wouldn't put a real cold one on there for fear of cracking the stone. For thicker pies I would use a lower temperature in the range of 450 to 500 or so.
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • This is how I used the adjustable rig
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Legs up makes perfect sense for the PS.   Then I'll add some space with firebrick I've cut in half to raise the grate, THAN add the pizza stone.  Cover the stone with a good sprinkling of Corn Meal and it shouldn't stick, right?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I cook a lot of pizza on the egg.  I like legs up, then a grate, then some spacers and a stone.  Having the PS face low gives you a bigger shadow, like having your hand closer to the bulb to shield from the light.  And legs down deflects heat to the gasket, the mothership released a memo about not doing that.  Not that anyone cares about the gasket, all ye commando people.  Just not necessary to do legs down, does not give you anything advantageous.
    Begger said:
    Legs up makes perfect sense for the PS.   Then I'll add some space with firebrick I've cut in half to raise the grate, THAN add the pizza stone.  Cover the stone with a good sprinkling of Corn Meal and it shouldn't stick, right?
    No, do not cover the stone with cornmeal. Use cornmeal, or semolina, on the peel in order to allow the dough to slide off and onto the pizza stone.  Once the dough as set, it will release from the stone. Use just enough so that the uncooked pizza will slide on the peel.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    edited April 2015

malcl said:
    I cooked pizza  for the first time last night on my XL lge.  Setup was plate setter - legs up, grill gate and pizza stone on top.  Heated to 650 deg for 15 mins dropped the temp to 600 and started cooking.  First I cooked a smoked salmon, creme fraiche and dill pizza which took 15 mins to cook it was perfect.  I kept the temp at 600 and cooked a sausage onion and garlic pizza which took only about 6 minutes and was also perfect. Finally, I cooked a   margherita  pizza which burned in about 3 mins.  I assume that even though I kept the temp constant at 600 the stone continued to heat up over the 45 mins or so that it took to cook the pizzas.

Question:  How do I better regulate the temp of the stone?
    You need to let the pizza stone heat up thoroughly before cooking on it. 15 minutes is nowhere near enough time. Minimum of 45 minutes, 1 hour would be even better. The decreasing times you experienced are classic example of a stone that was still heating up as you were cooking. Pizza dough is cooked by the heat transfer from the stone to the dough. You need to get the stone completely saturated in order to get consistent results. Better regulation of the temp of the stone is accomplished by time - be patient and let the stone heat up completely.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    If measuring the stone temp with IR, should it close to the dome temp?

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• UCFFAN
    UCFFAN Posts: 38
    jtc is dead nuts on.... let the BGE get to temp.... One hour is good! Indirect for me and usually around 450.....cooks fine .... just a little longer on the stone but will not burn. Secret is to have the entire mass of the Egg including the stone at your selected cook temp.....then its all good.
  • A31unit
    A31unit Posts: 199
    I cook a lot of pizza on the egg.  I like legs up, then a grate, then some spacers and a stone.  Having the PS face low gives you a bigger shadow, like having your hand closer to the bulb to shield from the light.  And legs down deflects heat to the gasket, the mothership released a memo about not doing that.  Not that anyone cares about the gasket, all ye commando people.  Just not necessary to do legs down, does not give you anything advantageous.

I know this is an old post but what do you use for spacers on top of the grid and under the stone?
    LBGE. Plate setter, PS Woo2, Flame Boss 200.  Moorestown, South Jersey (about 15 min outside of Philly, Don't hold it against me.  I would most likely rather live where you are)