Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bad steak

BarberEggHead
BarberEggHead Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im a better barber than i am a cook lol. I bought a green egg and was so excited about finaly cooking that perfect steak. I had a sirloin med rare and it was tuff as jerky. My mom had a well done newyork strip well done and hers was tender "for a well done stake it was tender". Is it possible to buy a "bad" steak??

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    u bet it is!! Depends on the butcher, the cow and the how it was cut. I just had a ribeye that was real tough and my wifes was super tender!!
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    it's very possible to get a bad steak. i bought a pack of three ribeyes last week and they were tougher than my wallet. i know because i took a bit out of my wallet and not out of the steak.....

i don't know why, but it's possible.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Yes it's possible the beef was tuff to begin with, but sirloin steaks are leaner and less forgiving to grill.
    New York Strips(a favorite with me)richer with fat than sirloin. Ribeye steaks I think have the most fat and are very juicy and tender off the grill. Also check the grade of meat; Select(not very good), Choice (ok), Prime (very good). When it comes to steak, fat content makes a big difference.
    You can cook the perfect steak. Try a nice ribeye well marbled next time and see what you think after taking it to 130 degrees internal and resting 5 minutes before diving in. ;) Be sure to check out www.DizzyPigBBQ.com for seasonings and cooking tips.
    Good luck, have fun!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    yes. was it choic?

what was the internal temp when you took it off the grill?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • That is a definite YES!!!
    You can get a steak, roast...What ever, that just won't get tender, no matter what!!!
    Even a flavor, at times, will be so off that it makes you wonder why??? What???
    Find yourself a good butcher (or at least a good meat cutter) and develop a relationship. You will be surprised, for sure!
  • Absolutely. There are many varying degrees (quality) of US meat. I would stick with no worse than USDA Choice. The CERTIFIED black angus is commonly available in groceries stores and is usually excellent. If you want to spend the extra $'s then find a place that sells USDA Prime. I good indicator is the amount of marbling in the steak. The more the better (and more costly). Definitely talk to your butcher and tell him what you are looking for. Good luck.
  • I dont know i just siered it for 2 min on each side and closed the egg up and keep it in for 2 more min. Thats what i saw in my intro cd
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    well. too many variables

in time, you'll stop cooking by 'time'. simply can't be done reliably, unless you do it exactly the same way each time every time (same thickness of steak, same cut, same grade, same temp out of the fridge or 'room temped', etc.)

that sear/dwell method has been pimped for a while, even before the DVD. i don't know anyone here that actually does it. too many things can go wrong.

buy a decent meat thermometer. a Thermapen (therm-A-pen, with an 'A'), from the Thermoworks (with an 'O'), is the best, and what most of us finally gave up and bought. but if you have any kind it will work, though a thermapen is faster.

sounds like you may have overcooked it. a strip steak has an exceptionally narrow window. in fact, i would never describe even the best cooked strip steak as "tender". ribeue has flavor, tenderloin has tenderness (but not much flavor). a strip steak is a little firmer, but has great flavor and none of the floppy fat of a rib eye.

but it must be dialed in to a very narrow window.

search t"rex, "hot tubbing", "Xert" for a few alternative ways to cook a steak. in any case, you will have much better results if you take your steak's temps and know exactly what temp you prefer
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    the steak could be bad (tough), could also be the cut of sirloin, depends on which side of the muscle group. we have a ny sirloin cut that comes from the forward end of the rump, has 4 or 5 muscle groups included, each has more or less flavor and different grades of tenderness on the same steak, each mucle being different. i dont much care for the cook method bge suggests, do a search for trex method, reverse sear, and waterbag method, they all cook a better steak, my preference is trex. thermapen temp gages are a great tool for steaks, they seem expensive but once youve made a dozen perfect steaks you wont regret the purchase
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks for the advice
  • Thanks. with the help of good ppl like you i might make a good cook!